Defaulted credit card and mortgage with same lender

Options
I am close to defaulting on a credit card with Virgin who my current mortgage is also with.  Anyone have any idea how this may impact me?

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Might make it difficult to remortgage.  Certainly very likely no one else will want to offer you a mortgage with a default.  Virgin may be forced to give you one but it won't be at favourable raters.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • steven141
    steven141 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I don’t have experience of this but I doubt that it will mean anything good. 

Do you have the option of applying for another credit card elsewhere with for example a 0% balance transfer rate for so long? This will allow you to pay the minimum payment but give you some time to get back on top of things. 

If the above isn’t an option, have you tried speaking with Virgin? They may be able to put you onto a payment plan of some sort.  
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I doubt it will be a problem if you have to default on nonpriority debt, so be it. That's why they charge a high interest rate to everyone else.
  • dba2023
    dba2023 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I am in the process of allowing my accounts to default before arranging payment options.  I am aware that this will mean no access to credit for a number of years.  My fixed deal comes to an end very soon so ideally I would want to fix again but wondering if this will be less likely now.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There will be few issues as long as the mortgage payments are made on time.

Re-mortgaging with the same lender usually requires no credit check.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback