Tax on Savings

Options
This year my interest on my savings will be c£3k and my wife a little less. We are both retired and our individual income is below £12570 I have read that we get an extra £5k tax free savings allowance as our individual incomes from occupational pensions is below £17.5k.
Do we have to claim for this etc or will no tax be requested from us?
It pays to challenge

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No claim needed, the institutions concerned will report the interest to HMRC, who will see that no tax is due and that no further action is necessary....
  • sabelu
    sabelu Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this very well communicated as all my friends think they get taxed everything over 1k this year and 500 next?
    It pays to challenge
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,103 Forumite
    edited 13 March at 5:28PM
    Options
    sabelu said:
    Is this very well communicated as all my friends think they get taxed everything over 1k this year and 500 next?
    MSE has an article about it. Most people in employment can't use it
    NB The Personal Savings Allowance is not dropping to £500 next year
  • eskbanker
    Options
    sabelu said:
    It's always going to be subjective about how well communicated such things are, but you obviously found the gov.uk page and there's one in MSE-speak on this site too:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-tax-free-interest-on-savings
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/tax-free-savings/

Your friends are presumably either mistaken or their aggregate income is over £18,570?
  • sabelu
    Options
    ColdIron said:
    sabelu said:
    So there is no benefit for these savers to open isa’s?
    It pays to challenge
  • sabelu
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    sabelu said:
    It's always going to be subjective about how well communicated such things are, but you obviously found the gov.uk page and there's one in MSE-speak on this site too:

Your friends are presumably either mistaken or their aggregate income is over £18,570?
    I understand what you’re saying here and thank you but I didn’t pick up on this in Martin’s programme last night but I’m grateful to all that have answered my queries…..
    It pays to challenge
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,103 Forumite
    edited 13 March at 6:02PM
    Options
    sabelu said:
    ColdIron said:
    sabelu said:
    So there is no benefit for these savers to open isa’s?
    Which savers? If your interest is covered by one or all of the 3 'allowances' (like you) then probably not. If not then they are very much to savers benefit
  • eskbanker
    Options
    sabelu said:
    eskbanker said:
    sabelu said:

I understand what you’re saying here and thank you but I didn’t pick up on this in Martin’s programme last night but I’m grateful to all that have answered my queries…..
    Any time I've caught bits of the TV show, it jumps out at me just how superficial it is - his whole schtick is obviously to try to simplify everything for a mass audience but in doing so for a TV show, any sense of nuance and detail is lost as he gabbles through a wide range of subjects at breakneck speed!  IMHO he really ought to use it as an opportunity to signpost interested punters to places where they can be more fully informed, such as this site, rather than trying to give the impression that he's covered subjects in sufficient detail.

Anyway, returning to the £1K versus £500, the former applies to basic rate taxpayers and the latter to higher rate ones, and neither is changing from this year to next, or it could perhaps have been that the subject for that was the dividend allowance, which does change from £1K in 23/24 to £500 in 24/25?
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sabelu said:
    The general level of ignorance/misunderstanding about all personal finance issues is a big problem.
    That is why people make decisions that cost them lots of money, pay too much tax, or even worse lose money to scammers.
    Martin tries to inform, but as the previous  post said a rapid fire TV programme is not an ideal way to deal with issues that are not that simple.

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sabelu said:
    The general level of ignorance/misunderstanding about all personal finance issues is a big problem.
    That is why people make decisions that cost them lots of money, pay too much tax, or even worse lose money to scammers.
    Martin tries to inform, but as the previous  post said a rapid fire TV programme is not an ideal way to deal with issues that are not that simple.

Couldn't agree more.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure