Breakdown insurance ?

Options
Previously with the AA, now they want £135 for another year's cover.
RAC want a similar amount (£127)
However using compare the market I see RAC offering me the seemingly same service for £33, plus £40 callout fee which I don't mind as I've not called then it in the last few years.
Just wondering if anyone knows why the vastly different prices? I assumed it was monthly Vs annual at first 🤣

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    When it's free to call them out people will immediately do it as soon as there is a problem. With a fee to be paid each time it may encourage people to do more themselves before calling them thus resulting in less call outs. 

Obviously haven't seen the two policies to see if there is actually any difference in coverage and cannot see a £127 option to see which one you are looking at.  RAC Essentials, which is only sold via aggregators, is targeted at your average price comparison user who are only interested in price hence some do sell cut down products to get cheaper prices, some just sell it cheaper as at least there is a fixed cost of sale. 

They sometimes list another Essential's product without the excess for around £90 depending on if its vehicle or person
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Auto aid are ok, 10 year age limit from memory.
    Cover husband and wife.
  • Mgman1965
    Mgman1965 Posts: 249 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 March at 9:27PM
    Options
    Don't ever buy any cover from Emergency Assist they are dire and do anything to avoid helping you.

I was with them for years never needing them, until one early morning. 

Driving to work very early in the dark and heavy rain I hit an "object " in the road (brick I think).
    Punctured both nearside tyres and damaged the NSF alloy.
    Managed to get into nearby lay-by but obviously immobile as only one spare.

Called Emergency Assist, explained what happened and that I'm a disabled Blue Badge holder with limited mobility. 

Their operator then told me that what had happened was classed as an accident not a breakdown so was not covered  so they wouldn't assist me.

I then asked if they were happy to leave a lone, disabled driver on the side of a dark road without help ?

To be told, they would, therefore arrange recovery of my vehicle to a nearby garage, but at a cost of about £250, which I declined  and rang a friend,who came out, put my spare on one wheel, took the other flat one off and took to a part worn tyre company  to get another tyre fitted and brought back and refitted, getting me mobile again. 

I then looked at their online reviews and this seems to be a regular thing they do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback