Unsure if this is genuine!

Options
egg0
egg0 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 14 March at 10:35AM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi all

First time on this forum, so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I have attached a screenshot of some text messages received from a debt collection company called Marston. When googling the company the website link and phone number in the screenshot appear to match the actual company.

Two reference numbers have been added, which I've blanked out incase this is actually genuine. They also both match.

Has anyone else received anything similar or the same? I've had no letters, emails or calls and I'm unable to actually block this contact as it does not appear to be linked to an actual phone number!

I appreciate any help/advice with this.

Thanks 😊 

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,239 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Do you owe anything to anyone that could have been passed to a debt collection agency?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check your credit file on the 3 main agencies - Experian via MSE Credit Club, Clear Score and Credit Karma - if you have old debts that defaulted it's quite possible for a company to buy the debt then chase you for it 
  • Linus2864
    Linus2864 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Marston is the recovery firm used by HM Courts and Tribunals and HMRC.   Have you any outstanding tax bills, court fines or compensation payments?

As suggested above, you should check your credit files on Experian, Clear Score and Credit Karma to see if there are any defaults on there.

Have you moved address recently as they may have been sending letters to an old address?

Hope this helps

L
  • FreeFallerSaver
    FreeFallerSaver Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 March at 1:32AM
    Options
    Has all the hallmarks of spam messaging to me. Poorly worded messages ("set by legislation", for example - what does that mean?), that phone number is complete nonsense, plus the second text message starts with a comma. If it was me, and I wasnt aware of me owing anybody any money, I'd simply delete and/or block them.

If you're worried, contact the real Marston using the details on their own website if they have one (search yourself for them on Google, don't just click on the link in that text).

If it is genuine, then Marston seriously need to improve their comms.
  • Ferro
    Ferro Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    They are getting better at it because that is very close to the real marston's payment portal at

https://payments.marstonholdings.co.uk/

Nevertheless the general principle holds. Ignore calls, emails and texts. If it's important, they'll write
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,893 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 March at 8:35PM
    Options
    SPAM !!

Ignore and delete.

The real Marston`s are bailiffs, but also act as collectors sometimes, just to second the above advice, this is obvious spam, but as a rule of thumb for genuine debts, unless it comes in a letter, ignore it.

Legally they must write to you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback