Dog ownership

Options
My daughter has just bought a dog of a woman an recently there was a post on social media for lost stolen an found asking if any 1 knows the were abouts of this dog but this post is from the original owner the breeder not the person she bought it from my daughter has contacted the original owner to let her know she has bought the dog an that she is in a loving home an we'll kept for but she is kicking of saying she gas no right to have the dog an she will be getting her back even tho her post was I only want to know if the dog is safe an we'll clearly not were does my daughter stand ?

Comments

• Wonka_2
    Wonka_2 Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably a few quid down, without a dog and having learned a life lesson but a lot will depend on the full story

How old is the dog ?
    Is there a relationship between 'seller' and 'breeder' ?
    Is dog chipped/registered ?

• swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perhaps your daughter has bought a dog which has been stolen. If that si the case then the original owner is right to want the dog back.
  • macbinny77
    macbinny77 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Dogs not stolen seems like it's a family dispute between  the original owner an the seller are related the dog is six months old an the breeder is saying that she had no right to sell her that she should go back to the breeder 
  • SensibleSarah
    SensibleSarah Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's probably the case that the breeder had a 'contract' with the person they sold the pup to, stating that it should be returned to the breeder if the owner could no longer keep it. But of course the owner wouldn't get any money back that way so that could be why they sold it on instead. 
    Ownership in dogs can be a bit of a grey area. A microchip with your daughter's details on as the registered owner might help, but doesn't actaully prove ownership in law. 
    A lot could depend on the wording of the 'contract' between breeder and the person they sold it to as to whether the dog is considered stolen because it was sold on. If it's not a legally binding document then obviously it won't stand up to scrutiny. Morally - it's questionable IMO. Breeders absolutely should take full responsibility for the full lifetime of every dog they bring into the world - but if she just wants it back so she can sell it on again and make more money, or so she can breed from it and make even more dosh - clearly that's dubious. 

The only way you're going to know where your daughter stands is to get proper legal advice I'm afraid as theres lots we don't know. 

This isn't a doodle pup by any chance is it? Saw a story along these lines on Facebook this week where a breeder was looking for a missing pup. 

I had a situation a few years back where a pup was in a totally unsuitable home and wasn't wanted by the owner anymore. I managed to secure it a rescue space and took the pup (got the owner to sign a form relinquishing ownership to the rescue). Then the next day, I got a call from someone who said the pup was actually hers and the person who gave it away had no right to do so. By that time, the rescue had the pup so I couldn't have returned it even if I'd wanted to. The 'owner' on the phone tried to get me to pay her some money - obviously I refused. Told her to take it up with the person who gave me the pup and that the pup was full of fleas and worms and obviously malnourished - so if she was the owner then I would consider reporting her to the RSPCA for neglect. She hung up sharpish and never heard from her again! 

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    wait for Did your daughter get a receipt for her money?
    Has she got any proof of ownership?

The breeder would have to take your daughter to court to reclaim the dog so keep any proof such an advert of sale for the dog, any phone calls etc.

It has been stated that contracts restricting an owner from selling the dog or passing to someone else are not enforceable. 
    I don’t know if it has been taken to court.

So, unless the breeder can prove she is still the rightful owner of the pup
     do nothing.

There is  service called Doglaw you can contact  for advice, if things progress or if your daughter has legal cover on house insurance she could contact them 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback