Problems migrating from tax credits to universal credit

Options
Hello, is anyone else experiencing issues trying to migrate from tax credits to universal credit? 

We've been getting tax credits for years and had the impression that migrating to UC would be a simple and painless process but instead it's turning out to be invasive, patronising and a lot of hassle! 

My husband is self employed and is expected to attend an interview at the job centre to prove he's 'gainfully employed' - surely we could just provide the information they need electronically in some way rather than him having to lose earnings to prove himself (ironic really!)

As I'm not working as I look after our two children full time I'm also expected to look for workdespite making it clear to them that I am not in a position to work.

I just feel that we've been sold a lie as there was no mention of either of these things until I went through the rigmarole of filling in all the many questions on the claim application. Has anyone else experienced similar problems??

Many thanks

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,854 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello, is anyone else experiencing issues trying to migrate from tax credits to universal credit? 

We've been getting tax credits for years and had the impression that migrating to UC would be a simple and painless process but instead it's turning out to be invasive, patronising and a lot of hassle! 

My husband is self employed and is expected to attend an interview at the job centre to prove he's 'gainfully employed' - surely we could just provide the information they need electronically in some way rather than him having to lose earnings to prove himself (ironic really!)

As I'm not working as I look after our two children full time I'm also expected to look for workdespite making it clear to them that I am not in a position to work.

I just feel that we've been sold a lie as there was no mention of either of these things until I went through the rigmarole of filling in all the many questions on the claim application. Has anyone else experienced similar problems??

Many thanks
     How old are your children 
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depending on the ages of your children and if you or they have any disability or illness, then you will be given an expected level work commitment.  It is expected you spend this time applying for a job and attending interviews.  Should you refuge an employment offer then it will impact your claim.

Put another way you cant choose not to work without a reason.

The other area to look at is your partners income and if it reaches a set amount (I can’t remember the actual term) but basically if they earn over a certain amount then it will effect your expected work commitment.
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • helsbells17
    helsbells17 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for your answers, I think the point I'm trying to make is that we've basically been lied to (I mean all people that are migrating) as it's been implied that it's a seamless transition and it definitely isn't. Is no one else angry about this?
  • helsbells17
    helsbells17 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 March at 11:29PM
    Options
    Sorry but you're still not getting the point. Those migrating from tax credits have been given an untrue impression about the process. It's not until you complete the form that you find out about the 'need' for job centre interviews. Why can self employed people's proof of gainful employment not be provided electronically? Why do people need to take time off work to prove they work hard enough? Why are families not able to have a choice about how many parents work?
    My children are 11 and 8 and home educated.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry but you're still not getting the point. Those migrating from tax credits have been given an untrue impression about the process. It's not until you complete the form that you find out about the 'need' for job centre interviews. Why can self employed people's proof of gainful employment not be provided electronically? Why do people need to take time off work to prove they work hard enough? Why are families not able to have a choice about how many parents work?
    The neutral, factual answer to that is because the state decides that's how it's going to administrate the benefit, and it sets the criteria for the benefit.

I see your point and your position (especially re: homeschooling) but this isn't a forum to discuss it, per the stickied post at the top of the board.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/365935/its-about-helping-people-get-their-entitlement-not-about-benefits-policy
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    Options
    The rules are not new, UC hasn't changed at all. You had plenty of time to research what was expected of you when the time came for you to migrate across. Of course you don't have to do any of this but then your UC will likely end if you don't do what is expected of you. This includes your husband. 
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 March at 2:39AM
    Options
    For me your mixing two things together, firstly migration and then the UC process.

To answer the first item, migration is fairly easy.  Your receive a letter that informs you that your TC will cease and that you can apply for UC.  In doing so you will receive a years transition protection.  

Your application to UC fits into the rules of UC application and you have to conform to them as does every person that applies.   Transition from TC to UC does not afford you any special treatment to avoid these. 

As your OH is self employed they will be afforded a years start up period, you will be expected to look for work, the level of this will depend on your children’s age and your/children's health. 

Personally if your OH pulls in enough wage to cover your cost of living then sure you can choose not to work, however UC places certain expectations on those claiming.   As your youngest is over 5 and under 12 you will be expected to spend up to 30 hours a week looking for work and be available to take a job of up to 30 hours a week (if you are offered one).   Home schooling is treated as any school so, you are still expected to look for and be available to work for the 30 hours a week. 

You can, if you’re so upset about the process stop your transition, however as you have started the application your TC has already been stopped.  You have the choice.
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,378 Forumite
    edited 14 March at 2:52AM
    Options
    To imply or give an impression that things would be the same on UC as it had been on Tax Credits would be a misrepresentation, they are different benefits with completely different qualifying criteria. What have you read that gave the impression nothing would be different?

People are always free to choose whether to work or not but you're going to have to fund that choice yourselves.  If however you wish to claim help through UC you cannot just choose not to work. Everyone is a jobseeker under UC unless they are deemed not to be due to health conditions or caring responsibilities.

It may still be possible you are not required to seek work if your husbands earnings reach a certain threshold although given he is self employed and you don't work I'm not quite sure how your AET and individual CET interact with each other.

Just to float an idea to everyone else here, would home schooling children be a satisfactory reason to reduce someone's individual CET?  It's a stab in the dark I'll admit, but I have no idea if it's something that may be considered.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback