Council Tax discounts

Options
I have to wonder how a student can be eligible for discount when a carer to their spouse isn't.
I have needed to give up work to be a full time carer for my husband who had dementia. The only income I receive is carers allowance. However, if I was a student or claiming a benefit looking for work, I would be classed as an eligible adult and therefore 2 eligible adults for discount with no other adults in the household. A students income would likely earn more than carers allowance but pays no council tax. Its crazy. 
While I'm on a role 😬. I am not eligible for free dental care or anything else despite not being able to earn because I look after my husband. Crazy!  Sorry had to rant, when no fault of our own we are forced into poverty with little financial support.

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As you are part of a couple any entitlement to means tested benefits are considered on the income of both of you.  Its only students that are exempt from council tax, those who are unemployed etc are still liable but may be able to claim a reduction due to income, same with free prescriptions.

It maybe that your husband can be exempt from council tax due to mental health rules factsheet_council_tax.pdf (alzheimers.org.uk)
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure