Car insurance when transferring ownership

Options
We want to transfer ownership of my Mum's car to a family member. This will mean Mum cancelling her car insurance and a new policy for the family member. 

Is it best to overlap the policies (both to cancel and start on the 15th), or cancel on the 14th and start the new one on the 15th?

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How is this "ownership" being transferred?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Unless ownership is going to transfer at midnight in most cases there will be an 1 day or part of 1 day overlap 
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Does the other family member currently have a policy on a different vehicle?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If the family member lives near you Mum could she deliver it on the agreement that the car stays off the road until the following day?  She could then cancel her insurance and the new owner insure from the following day.
  • goodread
    goodread Posts: 5 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you all for your input.  Basically I thought if my sister (the family member involved) went round to Mum's and she notified the DVLA online of the change to the logbook, and then set up the tax, while she was there. Ideally she'd drive the car away at that point but it's the insurance I wasn't sure about.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback