Stamp Duty for "First time buyer"

Options
Hi, 

I've tried searching this online but got no luck. 

I bought a property with my brother 6 years ago and we were on a joint mortgage. I've recently got married and buying a house with my wife. I've agreed to be removed from my current mortgage with my brother and start a new one with my wife.

I'm only going to have 1 house under my name and that is going to be the one I buy with my wife. Do I still come under first time buyer as it'll be my only property? Or even if they charge me extra stamp duty do you think I claim some of it back from the GOV.UK website? 

Thanks

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No. You aren't a first time buyer if you were/are party to the ownership rather than just a mortgage borrower. If you complete your purchase before you are removed from the current property you will pay the extra 3% second property surcharge. This is refundable once you are removed from the first property as long as it's done within three years.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure what you've been trying to search for? First time buyer means literally that, the first time you've owned a property. That doesn't apply to you, your FTB virginity doesn't grow back.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If your name is removed from the property with your brother you will only be liable for standard SDLT, you are not a first time buyer regardless.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Unspoken
    Unspoken Posts: 6 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response. I have been removed from the current property but that happened after I got my mortgage deed. So looks like I'll have to the refund on GOV.UK. 
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Unspoken said:
    Thanks for the quick response. I have been removed from the current property but that happened after I got my mortgage deed. So looks like I'll have to the refund on GOV.UK. 
    Ah ok, yes in that case you've already paid the higher rate and are entitled to a refund.

Apply for a repayment of the higher rates of Stamp Duty Land Tax - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unspoken said:
    "Getting your mortgage deed" isn't a relevant date in the process. Have you completed your new purchase and already paid the higher rate of SDLT?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,843 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Unspoken said:
    Were you living in that property immediately before you bought the new one ? 
    I'm not sure, but I think it possible that you'll only qualify for a refund if you replaced your main residence....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback