Autism and epilepsy

Options
Haven't been on here for a long time, but encouraged to by family. Recently diagnosed with Autism, which has made a lot of things fall into place regarding how I've been doing.... or not doing my finances. Struggling at the moment due to waiting on what responses I will get from the ESA and also ADP (Scotland). Can't really cope with tech in terms of phone calls or mobile apps ( banks seem to expect EVERYONE to use these! Thankfully I am having a financial health check with my bank today and will find out how they are going to help. Huge memory problems with increase of epilepsy medication last december hasn't helped with budgeting and am possibly lookng at using foodbank this year. It is the uncertainty that is the most stressful thing. Any tips that people with Autism have are welcome. It is a bewilderig world. I'm fine with typing things, but putting across information when talking is a lot harder. Thank you

Comments

• Auti
    Auti Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @jazzyjaz - I can type things but using voice is hard as I find processing unexpected things very hard, unexpected is something I had not mentally rehearsed for. Visiting Dr is hard so I write and hand over the info as my mind can become empty when asked a question as they are often too vague as I don‘t understand what they mean/their meaning is not my meaning.

I often take typed info/questions into places that may be more random and get people to write down what is agreed so I can read it and they can make sure I know exactly what is going to be agreed. If I need to visit  bank I take everything I think they might need and then they will help me sort out what is relevant. I have labelled folders with paperwork in and I print out online invoices/payment advice to keep records. I have labelled Utilities,  Benefits, Medical, House, Cat and so on so that if something/someone happens I can just hand over the folder. 

Sorry if confusing no disrespect meant - hope your bank visit went ok
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure