Smartsave - 1 year fix. Any issues?

Options
I'm considering Smartsave for a 1 year fix @ 5.28%. I was all set on going with MBNA, but I'm put off by the fact that it is telephone access only!
Is there anything I need to be aware of with Smartsave? Any issues anyone has had? Any reason why I shouldn't go with them?

Comments

• Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No contact number puts me off.
  • What_time_is_it
    What_time_is_it Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Good point.
    I really don't like the look of MBNA or Smartsave to be honest.
    Anywhere else you'd consider putting a chunk of money away for 1 year right now? Or leave it in instant access and keep an eye on the market?
  • MarkFromCornwall
    MarkFromCornwall Posts: 885 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Is there anything I need to be aware of with Smartsave?
    Just be aware that you are only allowed to have one savings account at a time with Smartsave.

• Murielson
    Murielson Posts: 268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Been looking into same thing and noted this gets posted a fair bit:   https://moneyfactscompare.co.uk/savings-accounts/1-year-fixed-rate-bonds/

Not my work but certainly some options there

• Andy7856
    Andy7856 Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My SmartSave fixed account has recently matured and I have had no issue what so ever with them.  Been a term account its pretty much a fix and forget account.   Opening the account was a breeze, it allowed a £1 test deposit, then gave me 14 days to credit any further monies.

I've had no reason to need to contact them throughout 12 month - so the lack of phone number was not a big issue to me as at the time I was receiving a marketing leading rate.    Approximately 3 weeks prior to the account maturing the online account gave me a number of options what to do with the maturing funds.   I selected to close the account.  The morning of the closure the full monies was credit to my nominated account by 9am.

Assuming SmartSave could offer me a further marketing leading rate and I was indeed seeking a further fixed rate account I would be very happy to have stayed.  

Personally the lack of phone number makes no difference to me.. once the money is in the account you have very little reason to communicate with them.

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,047 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm considering Smartsave for a 1 year fix @ 5.28%. I was all set on going with MBNA, but I'm put off by the fact that it is telephone access only!
    Is there anything I need to be aware of with Smartsave? Any issues anyone has had? Any reason why I shouldn't go with them?

I'm on my third 1 year fixed term account with Smart Save and have had no problems at all. They have communicated by email and very responsive.

Oct 2021 / 22 the interest rate was 1.34%
    Oct 2022 / 23 the interest rate was 4.31%
    Oct 2023 / 24 the interest rate is 5.94% 
  • Roger175
    Roger175 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Both wife and I have 1 yr fixed accounts with Smartsave - very easy to deal with, no issues as far as I can see
  • VKE
    VKE Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've a 1yr Fixed with them them ends later this year, the fustrating thing like others have mentioned is only being allowed 1 savings account
  • happybagger
    happybagger Posts: 808 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, that's my reason so far for not having an account. They tend to 'pip' the competition by 0.01% so I prefer to go with the second best, just in case smartsave do ever offer a market leading (by a long way) account, then I'd be able to open it.

If I'd have gone with them before and have the account still, I would have blocked that route.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback