Clark's formal shoes dillemma

Options
I bought a pair of size 8 shoes from Clark's. On their website, you had to choose extra wide fit or you could not add it to the cart.
Now, 2 months after the shoes arrived, I went to wear them for work and found that these are actually the size of a 8.5 even though size 8 is plastered everywhere.

Clarks' have refused to give me a refund as it has been more than 28 days. I still need this particular shoe from Clark's but the regular one.

What do I do ?

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why didn't you try the shoes on when they arrived?
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think you are going to get any satisfaction from Clark's or anywhere else. I'm sure Clark's will argue that your shoe are within tolerance for a size 8. You would need some expert evidence. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Android07 said:
    I bought a pair of size 8 shoes from Clark's. On their website, you had to choose extra wide fit or you could not add it to the cart.
    Now, 2 months after the shoes arrived, I went to wear them for work and found that these are actually the size of a 8.5 even though size 8 is plastered everywhere.

Clarks' have refused to give me a refund as it has been more than 28 days. I still need this particular shoe from Clark's but the regular one.

What do I do ?

It could be that the only stock they had at the time, or that the only size available was the extra wide fit. If you saw that at the time of order - it might have been useful to have tried them on when they were delivered to make sure they felt comfortable. As it's been so long since delivery, you're relying on their goodwill to exchange or refund, and it seems like they're not offering that. I'd likely order a new set, try them on when they arrive, and sell these on ebay if you're never going to wear them.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Android07 said:
    I went to wear them for work and found that these are actually the size of a 8.5 even though size 8 is plastered everywhere.
    How have you found out they are 8.5 if it says they are 8 everywhere?
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Foolish to not try on immediately upon receipt.  Also to wear them and break in them around the house, before using them longer term.

Wide fit shoes will always seem a bigger size compared to a standard width, or even narrow fit, shoe.
    My wife has wide feet and will buy standard fit in a size or two bigger to accommodate her foot width.

In a shop I will try multiple same size of shoes and trousers to find the best fit.  Hand made there will always be slight size variations.

Clarks were obviously out of stock of anything other than wide fit in 8 when you chose to purchase the shoes regardless.  Were they in a Sale?  If so it is no surprise Clarks don't want an odd end of range pair returned and you are far too late for the 14 day distance selling return option.
  • Android07
    Android07 Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Why didn't you try the shoes on when they arrived?
    I was not working for a few months and in between jobs. Hence, I did not need to try them on.

Android07 said:
    I went to wear them for work and found that these are actually the size of a 8.5 even though size 8 is plastered everywhere.
    How have you found out they are 8.5 if it says they are 8 everywhere?
    I have placed the new shoes next to my brother's 8.5 shoes of the same model and theya re identical in length.

Rodders53 said:
    Foolish to not try on immediately upon receipt.  Also to wear them and break in them around the house, before using them longer term.

Wide fit shoes will always seem a bigger size compared to a standard width, or even narrow fit, shoe.
    My wife has wide feet and will buy standard fit in a size or two bigger to accommodate her foot width.

In a shop I will try multiple same size of shoes and trousers to find the best fit.  Hand made there will always be slight size variations.

Clarks were obviously out of stock of anything other than wide fit in 8 when you chose to purchase the shoes regardless.  Were they in a Sale?  If so it is no surprise Clarks don't want an odd end of range pair returned and you are far too late for the 14 day distance selling return option.

They were not in a sale. I have been wearing the same model for many years and it is always sold at this price. I usually go to a Clarks's outlet but it seems the one in Elephant & Castle has closed as the whole shopping centre is undergoing a refurb.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback