Should I have valued higher?

Options
I have a mortgage with Nationwide and have done some renovations to the property recently. I put the renovations on credit cards as we needed to make some quick changes. We were going to sell the house however have decided to stay.

I applied for additional borrowing today as I wanted to consolidate the credit cards onto the mortgage. I didnt realise the max LTV was 80% for debt consolidation. They told me they held a value of 365k for my property in the midlands. I went with that but it meant I couldnt borrow enough to clear everything.

The application was approved and we didnt need a valuation as it was done automatically. 

With the changes we have made I personally feel the house is worth closer to 380k-390k. On reflection I wanted to ask the adviser to re-run the application on a higher valuation but was worried that should it trigger a manual valuation, then should they go back to the lower figure of £360k then it may STILL come back back with a manual valuation and not an automated figure. 

I find the automated figure so helpful as we both work full time and dont have to take time off work. Also reduces the risk of a down valuation.

If I do ask for a re-key and a £390k valuation, and it triggers a manual valuation, does anyone know whether it will stay as a manual valuation? Or whether it goes back to automated should we reduce the valuation again.

Please no comments about debt consolidation as we know the risks.

Thanks all

Comments

• fergie_
    fergie_ Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Might be a question for the lender - ie if I ask for a valuation and it comes back lower, will you still honour the computer figure?

The alternative would be to instruct your own surveyor.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What "renovations" did you undertake to improve the property? 
  • 77588p
    77588p Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have a small extention on the back to be used as an office
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business