Cancelled Home Insurance- how many years must this be declared?

Options
Hi. 5 years ago we were having some renovations done on our house, this included knocking down internal walls and making 3 rooms into one. I was not aware that I should have declared this work to my home insurance provider. When it came to renewal , I let them know that the number of rooms in our property had changed.  They immediately cancelled my home insurance. 
Since then I've declared that ive had insurance cancelled when renewing,  but my insurance is a lot more expensive and it is also difficult to find a company that will insure us. 
Does anyone know how long I have to declare this for, when renewing?
As the house insurance was in my name only, if we insured the property in my husband's name,  would that be OK? He would be answering the question honestly that he hasn't had insurance cancelled 
Any advice much appreciated 

Comments

• Julia04
    Julia04 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi. 5 years ago we were having some renovations done on our house, this included knocking down internal walls and making 3 rooms into one. I was not aware that I should have declared this work to my home insurance provider. When it came to renewal , I let them know that the number of rooms in our property had changed.  They immediately cancelled my home insurance. 
    Since then I've declared that ive had insurance cancelled when renewing,  but my insurance is a lot more expensive and it is also difficult to find a company that will insure us. 
    As the house insurance was in my name only, if we insured the property in my husband's name,  would that be OK? He would be answering the question honestly that he hasn't had insurance cancelled 

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Julia04 said:

Did they actually cancel the policy or decline to renew? Did you get whatever they did in writing?

Normally the 'Have you ever had insurance cancelled' lasts forever unless it says 'in the last X years'.  Which is why I'm asking whether it was ACTUALLY cancelled - or whether you'd reached the end of the policy and they refused to renew?

An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 11 March at 5:36PM
    Options
    You need to answer the questions honestly... most the time the question is something like "have you or any of your household ever had insurance cancelled, voided, special terms applied" etc. As such under your current understanding both of you would have to answer "yes" to the question for as long as you live together. 

When you had the insurance cancelled 5 years ago did you ask them if you needed to declare this as a cancellation? What would normally have happened if you had declared before the works started is that they'd have told you they weren't prepared to insurer you during the course of the structural work and as such you have the choice of either cancelling the alterations or cancelling the policy. This doesn't have to be declared as it's you that ultimately chose to cancel even if it wasn't a free choice. In some cases insurers will treat after the effect cancellations in the same way and effectively let you off for the late notification but others will treat it as a non-disclosure issue and note it on CUE etc that they cancelled the policy. 

If you just made an assumption about your original insurer and never asked it may be worth asking now how they recorded it and if you need to be answering "yes" to cancelled insurance because of their actions or not. 
  • Julia04
    Julia04 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi. It was coming up to my renewal and they cancelled it abruptly on the spot when I phoned up to make them aware of the changes to our property.I had to find another insurance provider straight away. So cancelled, not a refusal to renew
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Julia04 said:
    Hi. It was coming up to my renewal and they cancelled it abruptly on the spot when I phoned up to make them aware of the changes to our property.I had to find another insurance provider straight away. So cancelled, not a refusal to renew

Then unless the question asked at the quotation stage gives a timescale - then the answer is forever.

You might be better off speaking to an insurance broker rather than using online comparison sites where you'll have the chance to discuss what happened and when to see if you can get an improved price.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Julia04 said:
    That is not the sort of cancellation that a provider is looking for in the response to that question.  You had a change of circumstances that they could not offer cover on and the policy was terminated.

If you had not told them and then had a claimable event after that point and they cancelled the policy as they wouldn't have covered it, then that would be declarable.

If you are in doubt, use a broker or phone-based provider and tell them and let them decide.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback