Who likes self-scanning when shopping?

Options
There has been an explosion of self-scanning terminals in supermarkets and high street chains such as Boots and WH Smiths, and DIY sheds B & Q. 

Who likes self-scanning when shopping? 31 votes

YES, I love it
74%
izzitmemoneysavermoleratJenna_Appleseedsarah1972MarkFromCornwallruffwoodMoney_Grabber13579The_Money_Saver_2culletgemmatronhugheskeviTadleyBaggiecoffeehoundglennevisrumpetrollEmmia400ixlHumberFlyerjemj83 23 votes
NO, I hate it
3%
DelTrotterDerby 1 vote
NO STRONG VIEW
22%
ritz55Clowancecheekyweegitsaajan_12TheBankercymruchrisDullGreyGuy 7 votes

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    NO STRONG VIEW
    Prefer Amazon where you dont scan anything, just walk out with your goods. With a hundred or so purchases probably yet to have a single mistake made (two user errors) whereas the local Coop machine often have problems of double scanning etc. 

In principle think it's a good idea but it depends on the implementation of it. 
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    NO STRONG VIEW
    The only reason I find it useful - is to make sure that I get the 'offers' as per the shelf edge labels, rather than trying to remember them all when I get to the checkouts.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    YES, I love it
    Fo convenience shopping what's there not to like. Far speedier.  There's still cashiers. 
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    NO STRONG VIEW
    I like it in supermarket/ food style shops where it's just scan and bag. I've seen it come up in some clothing stores too though, which can get really painful depending on their tech.
    Eg Decathlon - great tech that senses something in the item when you place it into a tub at the till, without having to dig out the label even -> great!e
    Eg Zara - manually scanning each tag, then removing the security devices without damaging the item was super fiddly, then typing in your email to get a receipt as they had no option to print.. took 20 min!
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    YES, I love it
    Retailers want staff helping customers on the shop floor or stocking shelves not sat doing what the customer can do for themselves. I'd rather that as well so much prefer the ability to scan and go or as above, just pick up and go.
  • prettyandfluffy
    prettyandfluffy Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Love it in supermarkets as it cuts down on the time and effort plus keeps a running total of spend. Loathe it and try not to use it in clothing shops - our revamped Marks & Spencer is awful, you can make returns and buy things without any human contact at all it's just a "gimme your money" exercise.
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When I’m just getting a couple of items and it means avoiding a queue - fine. But too often my local supermarket doesn’t have any staff on either the manned checkouts or helping with self checkouts, and there are regularly issues/age restricted items etc and you have to trawl over the whole shop to find someone to help - shops need to realise even self checkouts need a member of staff…
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    By 'self-scanning' I'm assuming you mean self service tills and not the 'scan-as-you-go' handsets.

My OH does the big shop, I do a twice a month shop at Aldi (just a full basket that will fit into my shopping trolley) and odd bits from Tesco Express.
    I always use the self service tills as I don't want to get stuck behind someone with a piled up trolley.
    It allows me time to check the prices on the display and pack at my own speed.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 March at 12:33PM
    Options
    YES, I love it
    Pollycat said:
    By 'self-scanning' I'm assuming you mean self service tills and not the 'scan-as-you-go' handsets.

My OH does the big shop, I do a twice a month shop at Aldi (just a full basket that will fit into my shopping trolley) and odd bits from Tesco Express.
    I always use the self service tills as I don't want to get stuck behind someone with a piled up trolley.
    It allows me time to check the prices on the display and pack at my own speed.
    This.  Nothing worse than getting to the one open checkout with your 2 items and the person in front has bought half the shop.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback