bereavement

Options
Hi all just a enquiry about the bereavement benefit should it affect universal credits.

Mams on trying to claim universal credits and and with her receiving bereavement payment it took her over the £6000 threshold and they claiming it’s a income so they are saying she won’t  receive full payment but everywhere she reads say bereavement payment shouldn’t interfere with universal credit.
Thanks

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    nelky said:
    Hi all just a enquiry about the bereavement benefit should it affect universal credits.

Mams on trying to claim universal credits and and with her receiving bereavement payment it took her over the £6000 threshold and they claiming it’s a income so they are saying she won’t  receive full payment but everywhere she reads say bereavement payment shouldn’t interfere with universal credit.
    Thanks
     Even if it is not included as income (i don't know if it or not) it will be classed as savings, either reducing or stopping all universal credit payments 
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    marcia_ said:
    nelky said:

Thanks
     Even if it is not included as income (i don't know if it or not) it will be classed as savings, either reducing or stopping all universal credit payments 
    However as a benefit backpayment it might be disregarded. 
    (But I don't have the brainpower to go looking at all, someone else will have to dig into it, sorry.)
  • marcia_
    Options
    marcia_ said:
    nelky said:

Thanks
    However as a benefit backpayment it might be disregarded. 
    (But I don't have the brainpower to go looking at all, someone else will have to dig into it, sorry.)
     True some payments are ignored for a period of time 
  • nelky
    nelky Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Reasearch on gov comes up with this surely only affects u/c if still have money after a year 

Bereavement Support Payment will not affect your benefits for a year after your first payment. After a year, money you have left from your first payment could affect the amount you get if you renew or make a claim for another benefit.

• marcia_
    Options
     There are a couple of benefits posters who will be along to point you to the law you can show UC because what you say actually sounds right, ignored for a year. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    nelky said:

Thanks
    When did she receive the bereavement payment?
  • nelky
    nelky Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Father passed in October received bereavement benifit in dec/jan not 100% sure tbh 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Retrospective Widowed Pat=rents Allowance is not relevant to the OP'S mother, who was widowed in October last year.

The OP appears to be talking baout Brereavemnet Support Payment.

Howevr, the same applies, in that it is disregarded for 12 months and then any left is treated as capital.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @sheramber
    Removed my post to save confusion.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income