Landlords insurance

Options
Hello, My landlord's insurance is due for renewal and I would like to change company as the premiums have increased significantly over the last few years. Unfortunately, my central heating boiler recently leaked and damaged the carpet below.  I have a contractor coming to replace the carpet and check for any ceiling damage at the same time,  but this will not happen until after my insurance is due for renewal. I agreed with the agent that if the contractor does not find any ceiling damage, then I will just replace the carpet and not claim off the insurance. However, if there is ceiling damage, I may want to claim off the insurance.  Am I right in thinking that if I change company I would not  be insured (as the leak would have happened before the renewal)? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• ashburnham
    ashburnham Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you had cover in place when the incident happened then you can make a claim for it at any point whether it is before or after renewal date. You would claim from the insurance policy that was in force at the time of the incident.

You should, however, be telling your current insurer (or any new insurer) of this incident, whether claiming or not, before you renew or take out any alternative policies. This fact could affect the renewal invitation or any new quote you are getting but not telling them could be seen as a non-disclosure of facts which could affect your cover going forward.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback