Looking for 10 year fixed rate mortgage with lowest exit fees- any suggestions?

Options
hi All
I need to switch from the tracker to fixed rate and i would like 10 year fixed rate mortgage.
I need to borrow 60k(property 310k).
Can anybody suggest the deal with the least exit or overpayment fees?
Are there any tricks or gotchas that i should be aware off?
If i am in fixed deal and theoretically would like to pay everything off on the next month of mortgage - will i pay a fixed percentage of the payed amount?
Best Regards

Comments

• amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why would you want the commitment of a 10 year rate and then be focused on low exit fees?
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Newbie_John
    Newbie_John Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    FirstDirect ha sno overpayment limits.

Now exit fees, wouldn't be better to take 5x 2 years fixed deals? When you product transfer every 2 years it's all hassle free and takes few seconds - no need for remortgagiong every 2 yeras and get the freedom of leaving whenever you wish.
  • mrstingy2022
    mrstingy2022 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    amnblog said:
    Why would you want the commitment of a 10 year rate and then be focused on low exit fees?
    i am pesimistic about economic outlook so if there is major colapse i might not get a remortgage after 2 years. Id rather play it safer
  • mrstingy2022
    Options

Now exit fees, wouldn't be better to take 5x 2 years fixed deals? When you product transfer every 2 years it's all hassle free and takes few seconds - no need for remortgagiong every 2 yeras and get the freedom of leaving whenever you wish.
    wow if firstdirect has no overpayment limits i will definately check them!
    the reason i prefer longer fixed deal is my pesimistic outlook in the economic future eg in 2 years i might be in worse financial shape and not get a remortgag - this sort of thinking
  • Newbie_John
    Newbie_John Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    amnblog said:
    i am pesimistic about economic outlook so if there is major colapse i might not get a remortgage after 2 years. Id rather play it safer
    But why would you like to remortgage again after 2 years?
    If your fixed deal ends, you don't change banks - then you grab next best available fixed deal from them without any paper work, salary prooves, literally can be 30 seconds online.
  • mrstingy2022
    Options
    amnblog said:
    If your fixed deal ends, you don't change banks - then you grab next best available fixed deal from them without any paper work, salary prooves, literally can be 30 seconds online.
    i do not want 2 year deal as i prefer fixed rates for 10
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    amnblog said:
    amnblog said:
    You won't get the best rates for a 10 year deal. 

Would 2 five year deals not be a better compromise. 
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    amnblog said:
    Collapse of what? UK banks extremely unlikely. Highly regulated these days, Times have moved on since the GFC. 
  • Zoe02
    Zoe02 Posts: 466 Forumite
    Options
    Wiser going for 5 years.

10 years is such a long time.

I have recently opted for 2 years. 
  • mrstingy2022
    Options

wow if firstdirect has no overpayment limits i will definately check them!
    the reason i prefer longer fixed deal is my pesimistic outlook in the economic future eg in 2 years i might be in worse financial shape and not get a remortgag - this sort of thinking
    i rang them yesterday and looks like exactly what i wanted. There are some details which i did not fully comprehend so might ring them to clarify ie. its possible to overpay but not fully close the mortgage. I need to understand what will happen if i would like to sell
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback