Old HMRC cheque from 2019 of recently deceased person who has not cashed cheque

Options
Deceased relative (brother) of three months ago, has failed to cash an HMRC cheque dated 2019.  Is it worth pursuing and seeing if HMRC will still honour the cheque?

Comments

• Brunokid
    Brunokid Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends how much it's for...
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Supposedly they are always valid.  Try putting it in the bank and see what happens.  Easier than trying to ring HMRC.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Brunokid
    Options
    Aren't cheques only valid for a certain amount of time? 6 months?
  • Brunokid
    Options
    Brie said:
    Supposedly they are always valid.  Try putting it in the bank and see what happens.  Easier than trying to ring HMRC.
    The payee has deceased
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 9 March at 4:18PM
    Options
    They might be valid but if they are like us we cancel cheques after six months so quite possibly it will be bounced. I would contact HMRC and ask them. 

Technically they should reissue it as an uncashed cheque acknowledges a debt and as it is within 6 years the estate could sue unless there are odd rules in relation to HMRC.

Of course if it is only for a tenner not worth the hassle. 
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 March at 5:20PM
    Options
    GrumpyDil said:
    They might be valid but if they are like us we cancel cheques after six months so quite possibly it will be bounced. I would contact HMRC and ask them. 

Technically they should reissue it as an uncashed cheque acknowledges a debt and as it is within 6 years the estate could sue unless there are odd rules in relation to HMRC.

Of course if it is only for a tenner not worth the hassle. 
    Agree with this.

Assuming the cheque hadn't previously been reissued then it should be possible to have it reissued now.  To whoever the executor is.

Given the age of it HMRC will probably want the cheque number to help check what happened and if it can be reissued.
  • beckstar1975
    beckstar1975 Posts: 494 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Only thought is there a chance they may have paid it in with their phone and just not disposed of it after? I haven't'paid' a cheque in in person for many years
    :eek::eek::eek: LBM 11/05/2010 - WE DID IT - DMP of £62000 paid off in 7 years:jDFD April2017
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Only thought is there a chance they may have paid it in with their phone and just not disposed of it after? I haven't'paid' a cheque in in person for many years
    Any one have a cheque deposit option on a app 5 years ago?
    Life in the slow lane
  • PinstripePhantom
    Options
    Any one have a cheque deposit option on a app 5 years ago?
    Yes, Halifax.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure