Now TV BWlegal letter of claim

Options
Rover7895
Rover7895 Posts: 30 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Hi. I received a letter this morning from BWlegal demanding a sum of £425.91 on behalf of JC International Acquisition LLC, original creditor being Sky UK limited (Now TV).

Apparently, they have made several efforts to contact me about the balance and as all their efforts have failed, they are taking legal action against me and have given me 3 weeks to respond.
Firstly, I haven't been contacted by them before and this is the first I know about it. 

I had a Now broadband account that ended in February 2021 and contacted them earlier. They confirmed that I held no active account with them anymore and no balance was showing.

Also, I'm confused as to why they had my new address as my account was registered under my old address, but they couldn't answer that one. 

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I phoned the BWlegal number but that just went straight through to an automated payment line.

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 March at 3:24PM
    Options
    I would imagine that many if not most bad debts ( not saying you are a bad debtor ) the address of the debtors when it’s alleged they didn’t pay a bill , isn’t the same address as they have now , it can make sense if it’s the reason a debt was left unsettled was an oversight and inadvertent, ( moving home and forgetting about it )  rather than deliberate ploy to try and leave debts behind .

A debt chasing company can locate the debtor at their new address easily enough using publicly available info , or even by unusual ( but legal) means , again I’m not saying it’s true in your case , but some will be naive enough to think the debt won’t follow them to a new address .

A reasonable question to ask may be , why can’t the original company the debt was owed  to , do this to locate their ‘ex’ customer, but TBH , that means them employing staff to do this , it’s much easier to sell the debt on  ( for pennies on the pound ) and then it’s the debt chasers that have the administrative job of locating where the individual has relocated to , and using whatever means they seem fit to recover the debt .

As far as what to do , if you don’t owe anything , then presumably it’s upto BW legal to present the evidence that you do owe this , but that could be in court , if they don’t respond to you asking for proof that you owe this amount , baring in mind the figure of £425 will be way more than what the amount Now recon you originally didn’t pay , after they add fees for their time etc . 

Doesn’t the letter you received have the way to refute their claim that you owe them money ? 
  • Rover7895
    Options
    Hi thanks for your reply.

I phoned BWlegal and apparently the account was set up somewhere in Scotland.

Guess it's either mistaken identity or fraud.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Rover7895 said:
    Hi. I received a letter this morning from BWlegal demanding a sum of £425.91 on behalf of JC International Acquisition LLC, original creditor being Sky UK limited (Now TV).

Apparently, they have made several efforts to contact me about the balance and as all their efforts have failed, they are taking legal action against me and have given me 3 weeks to respond.
    Firstly, I haven't been contacted by them before and this is the first I know about it. 

I had a Now broadband account that ended in February 2021 and contacted them earlier. They confirmed that I held no active account with them anymore and no balance was showing.

Also, I'm confused as to why they had my new address as my account was registered under my old address, but they couldn't answer that one. 

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I phoned the BWlegal number but that just went straight through to an automated payment line.
    Doesn't sound like a formal preaction letter. That comes with a standard reply form and 30-day limit.

It sounds like a dodgy debt collection agency whistling in the wind
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    When you get the formal letter, tick Box C and ask for everything you can think of in Box I

Don't phone them.
  • Rover7895
    Options
    fatbelly said:
    When you get the formal letter, tick Box C and ask for everything you can think of in Box I

Don't phone them.
    Hi. I did actually phone them and I'm still confused as to why they gave me a different email, mobile phone number (last 3 digits) and address that is held on their records.. Although the letter was addressed to me.

I've been through something similar 9 or 10 years ago with Wonga on my case saying I owed them money when I had never set up a loan. They wouldn't give me any information on what bank account they had paid the money in to, but apparently it was my bank account.

BWlegal said they would investigate the matter further and I don't need to worry.. unless they write to me again.

• BlueonBlue
    BlueonBlue Posts: 62 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 March at 10:29PM
    Options
    Sounds like BW Legal are fishing for your personal data/info which they dont have yet .
    This may be to help them further Bully Imtimidate and Incriminate you into paying them ....as they do  .

• JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They're scammers and well known for it. Do not reply to them and especially do not call them and give any information whatsoever.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback