Child benefit entitlement

Options
Kirkmain
Kirkmain Posts: 164 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 9 March at 11:01AM in Benefits & tax credits
Is there a simple comprehensive calculator for what is included in the (now) £60-80,000 threshold for losing child benefit. If I pay pension before taxable pay calculated, is that included? How about charity donations including church tithe? Do I need to get a receipt from the charity? Or is it declared based entirely on an honour system and HMRC will just take your word for it?

TIA

Comments

• borris78
    borris78 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The child benefit tax will be based on your taxable pay, essentially what you see on a P60. Pensions via salary sacrifice are deducted from taxable pay so yes that can be used. I don't know about charity donations. 

Bear in mind that if you've been paying this tax before, you don't see any benefit of this for a couple of year because most people who on PAYE are paying it in arrears. So, whilst the threshold changes in April,. the child benefit tax that you'll be paying this year will be based on the amount and threshold from a year or two ago.  
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Kirkmain said:
    Is there a simple comprehensive calculator for what is included in the (now) £60-80,000 threshold for losing child benefit. If I pay pension before taxable pay calculated, is that included? How about charity donations including church tithe? Do I need to get a receipt from the charity? Or is it declared based entirely on an honour system and HMRC will just take your word for it?

TIA
    You have to calculate your adjusted net income.

Which for most people is adding ALL taxable income, even that which is taxed at 0%, and deducting any relief at source pension contributions.

You cannot deduct net pay or salary sacrifice contributions.
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Kirkmain said:

TIA
    You have to calculate your adjusted net income.

Which for most people is adding ALL taxable income, even that which is taxed at 0%, and deducting any relief at source pension contributions.

You cannot deduct net pay or salary sacrifice contributions.

You can also deduct gift-aided charity donations and you need to be prepared to prove it  - I have been asked but it's not routine. A letter/email from the charity covered it IIRC, and they should have records of all the gift aid they claimed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback