We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Grafting and seedlings.

Options
Eldi_Dos
Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,612 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Uplifting article on BBC webpage this morning about the success of grafts and seedlings from the Sycamore Gap tree.
Marvelous people doing great work.

Comments

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I can give them lots of seedlings!
    Sycamore is the bane of my life!!

Not that I'm denigrating their work but it must be one of the easiest to propergate and hardest to get rid of.
    Could have done with that guy with the chainsaw in my last place.
    Couldn't get rid of despite cutting and poison
    That said it was a selfish and stupid to do what they did. Anyone hear why?

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Good for them, not wanting to pour too much cold water on their achievements, but getting sycamore seeds not to grow must be harder >:)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the difficulty is getting seedlings from that particular tree now that it's not actually growing anymore.  Amazing that there was someone to swoop in and nab something that might be viable more long term.  And lucky that it was autumn so seeds were available.  

The ongoing difficulty will be getting the new tree beyond sapling size as they are so vulnerable to someone snapping it, on purpose or not.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I like the idea but it's when you read "Andy Jaspar says, carrying a small pot with a 10cm green shoot. People have cried when holding it,"
    that puts me off.
    There are people and animals suffering that need the sort of help that this seedling is getting so I get the feeling that it's money and emotion that could be spent better.
    The grafts aren't on the original rootstock and will never hold the same dna - much like the other trees that are being kept.

Hopefully the original stump will be producing shoots this year. They won't have the photogenic quality but although I'm a photographer it's all a bit ethreal -

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    edited 26 March at 4:57PM
    Options
    I think they were also saying they'd grown some on from cuttings. 

But I do think it's nice to see the effort being taken in the face of what seems to have been just petty vandalism. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback