help with new current account

Options
hi, I have been reading these boards for quite some time now, and have found that you have been very useful when solving problems, and just wondered if anyone could offer me some advice regarding my current account/ credit.

I have not long left university where I was for 3 years and had a HSBC student account with an overdraft of 1750 interest free, however I have not graduated( as I left early, so only left with a diploma instead of my degree) so HSBC have said that they can not offer me a graduate account. when I went in to speak to customer services to see what they could offer me, they have said that there is nothing they can do for me, and have instead transfered me to a current account where I am paying interest on my overdraft. I also have a credit card with hsbc with a 750 limit, which is currently at 700, but I am making payments every month.

problem is, I don't know where I can go from here and who can offer me the best deal. as I am getting married on the 5th January and will be relocating to London to live with my husband as this is where he is based in the army.
I went in to lloyds to see if they could offer me a current account as I heard that they have the best rates, but they said that it would be best not to apply, as because I am relocating and have just left my job to move down there and I'm in the process of applying for new jobs, it will damage my credit score as I don't have an 'official' income going into the account.
I am also worried that if I do go to apply for a new account, when I have found a job, that the fact that I have just moved to the new address that that will affect my credit score once again and i may be refused!?

as you can imagine, I'm really worried about this situation and where to go from here. also, we have quite a lot of things that we need to but for the new house, and wanted to take out an argos store card, where you can take advantage of the 12months interest free and we were aiming to have it paid off within the year before the interest free period ends, do you think we would be refused credit based on me? hubby has a 500 overdraft but bank account is always in credit, and a 7000 loan which is in process of being payed off, but that's it. he is also in the same boat as me, that we will be registered to a new address as he has been living in barracks.

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

edit* oh I also have my student loan which is at £9000, but I'm don't start paying this off til April and only if I am earning 15,000 or more by then
no wins as of yet :(

Comments

• gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Any reason why you can't just want to stay with HSBC for the moment?

While any bank would accept you as a new customer, I doubt you will meet their 'ideal' customer profile given that you are currently not working and about to move house etc - and thus you may struggle to qualify for any special offers from them.

The best thing to do, is once you have moved is ensure you are added to the electoral roll at your new address ASAP and once you have found a new job, apply for a different current account if you want. Ensuring you are on the electoral roll does a lot to help your credit score. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry - any application form for credit will ask for your last 3 years worth of addresses..

As for applying for credit now (i.e. Argos), it is probably better for your partner to do so, with you as a 2nd card holder until your employment position changes..

Regards
    Sunil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family