We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Rabbits in polytunnel, help needed please!

Options
mumtoomany
mumtoomany Posts: 1,413 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
Hi, as in the title I have a problem with rabbits in my polytunnel. One, or maybe more, got in last year, they made a hole in the plastic at the side. This has now been repaired, and they can no longer get in there, unless they are moving and replacing two concrete breeze blocks. However now every time i go in there are tunnels dug in the beds. Not seen any but they are defiantly rabbit holes. How can i get rid of them? Don't mind them being in the fields outside, just not in the tunnel. Thanks for any help, Hugs, mumtoomany.xxx
Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
Spent in 2023: £1846.53/£1860. Now on £96.08 for 2024

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 8 March at 4:10PM
    Options
    Foxes?  Might be a bit messy and might not be that much easier to manage frankly.  A good ratting terrier might be a better option.

Only way I know is to dig down several feet both sides and ends of the tunnel and put heavy wire to create a full barrier.  And even then I'm not sure it would work.

edit - oh just thought of something else.....someone somewhere had a "rabbit garden" as a barrier around a large veg patch.  Essentially nice and easy things for the rabbits to eat but not your crop that you want for yourself?  would that work??
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • mumtoomany
    Options
    Thanks, @Brie. I don't really want the foxes in the tunnel. they seem quite happy outside with the sheep! i don't really want to dig down either. not had problem until this year, when they broke in. not sure if they have somehow stayed in under the ground. the plastic is buried a long way down all the way round. hugs, mumtoomany.xx
    Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
  • alicef
    alicef Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    We put in rabbit proof fencing around our 2 growing areas; we also put mesh guards around all the fruit trees - it was the only reliable way to keep the bunnies away from our fruit & veg.  Sadly, myxomatosis came through the region and decimated the rabbits so I rarely see them now.
    Fashion on the Ration 2024  6/66   
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My friends did dig wire netting around about 2ft away and some deep all the way around and that worked but it sounds as though yours have done the job properly and made burrows and pop up for dinner.
    Keep destroying?
    Any chance of finding where they start?

Or you could try the one for moles - put musical cards down the holes. The never ending music drives them nuts.

Pour something really smelly down the hole.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    alicef said:
    Sadly, myxomatosis came through the region and decimated the rabbits so I rarely see them now.
    We had a lot of rabbits near a large site of an international bank.  You had to be careful driving across the parking lot in case you ran them over.  Sadly the bank decided that ex army types with night scopes could take care of the problem.   Personally i was surprised they were allowed to doing shooting in close proximity to a family neighbourhood and a 24/7 work force.  But they didn't even nick a smoker so I guess they were very good shots.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • mumtoomany
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice and ideas. @alicef, we have plenty of rabbits here. If you want any just come and help yourself. 

Update, OH say in the tunnel for two hours, with a flask of tea and an air rifle. No rabbits appeared. Next day, more holes! We then found a rabbit trap that had been left here by previous owners. It was in pieces. After much googling, it is now reassembled and working. Baited it and set it up in tunnel. This morning..... Nothing! No new holes, no rabbits. Is this the end? I doubt it. Watch this space.  

Hugs, mumtoomany.xxx
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    Get someone with tame ferrets to walk them in the tunnel and make sure they look into or dig in all the holes. The ferrets' smell will send a powerful message to the rabbits!
    Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • mumtoomany
    Options
    Sorry, I thought I had replied on here last week. Since I posted there have been no new holes nor any sign of rabbits in the tunnel at all. We set a trap, humane one, that We had found in the barn, in pieces. OH managed to fix it and get it working. Baited with apple and waited. The Apple has now all been eaten by mice/shrews/voles. I think the rabbits must have read this thread and been frightened off. The power of MSE! This week I've found a rabbit nest in a compost heap. As long as they stay outside, they can stay. Thanks again for all the help and support, hugs, mumtoomany.xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure