Cash Purchase - Money Laundering Source of Funds proof

Options
I've seen a few threads about cash purchase previously but none seem to cover what is required for proof of funds. A thread on the investment board with someone needing to prove the source of the savings got me thinking what would be needed by a solicitor if you're buying a house for cash. The money has sat in an ISA for the last 8 years, would that be sufficient proof or would they need to see from beyond that date?
Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.

Comments

• amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 March at 3:32PM
    Options
    An ISA is not 'cash', it is an investment

'Cash' is Cash

It has been there some time so the statement should be sufficient
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    amnblog said:

'Cash' is Cash

Even the government calls them cash ISAs: https://www.gov.uk/individual-savings-accounts
    I had understood ‘investments’ to be stocks and shares and that sort of thing, rather than savings accounts
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    jimjames said:
    I've seen a few threads about cash purchase previously but none seem to cover what is required for proof of funds. A thread on the investment board with someone needing to prove the source of the savings got me thinking what would be needed by a solicitor if you're buying a house for cash. The money has sat in an ISA for the last 8 years, would that be sufficient proof or would they need to see from beyond that date?
    They could ask where the funds came from that were deposited into the ISA came from.
    So if you were putting the max £20K (not sure how long this has been the max) they could ask where that came from.
    Life in the slow lane
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    amnblog said:

'Cash' is Cash

Even the government calls them cash ISAs: https://www.gov.uk/individual-savings-accounts
    I had understood ‘investments’ to be stocks and shares and that sort of thing, rather than savings accounts
    Yeah. That's simply to differentiate it from a stocks and shares ISA. It could properly be termed a deposit ISA although that might muddy the waters further in this neck of the woods.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When we bought cash, the solicitors wanted 6 months of statements.

Try contacting some solicitors who you may want to use and ask them what proof they require.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 9 March at 5:52PM
    Options
    Up to the solicitors, but would be odd for them to be interested in anything even older than you have, often they might just be looking 3 months back.

And no, "cash" doesn't necessarily mean folding stuff! A "cash buyer" for a house is not turning up with a briefcase full of £20 notes...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback