Tax Credits to UC - in person identity checks only?

Options
We are in the midst of the painful process of migrating from TC to UC. We applied for UC on our migration deadline 23rd Feb, there was an option to "approve identity online via Government Gateway", we did this but it doesn't work. Turns out UC stopped using this in January but all their info on the website says that applicants can easily prove identity online. So it said we would get a phonecall within 2-3 days - we didn't. Instead an email on 6th March saying we have an appointment at the job centre for an id check 21 March. We can't make this date (hubby works full time, I'm a part-time student and self-employed part-time - I have said what weekdays I could make), we've added a note to our journals and are awaiting a reply... My Questions are...

• why are we "proving our identity" with a million and one documents when we have been claiming child tax credits for many years (kids aged between 12 & 18)? 
  • why on earth can't this be done online or by video call? Has anyone managed to have this?
  • are full time workers expected to take time off to attend appointments?
  • will this delay calculations to entitlement? How long does this take?
Sorry if I am coming across all ranty - I needed an outlet! I was never a huge fan of the seemingly random Tax Credits calculations and procedures, but the UC process is no improvement  :'(

Comments

• Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 8 March at 6:23PM
    Options
    You need to verify your ID to (help) avoid fraudulent claims.
    Gateway is the easiest and I have not heard about it being stopped -;there have been a few outages reported but all websites have outages.
    Gateway cannot be used by everyone. (I have no passport or driving licence so when I moved to UC 14 months ago I had no chance of using it).
    If  you can't do ID online then it needs a face to face appointment - unless you are physicaly (or mentally) unable to attend
    Yes, you are expected to take time off work if you want to make a claim.
    Yes, you need to do it for your claim to continue.
    My own ID appointment took about 10 minutes once I had sat down at the desk.
    In the end it is a condition of claiming UC that you verify your identity to UC.

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Newcad said:
    Gateway is the easiest and I have not heard about it being stopped -;there have been a few outages reported but all websites have outages.
    Gateway cannot be used by everyone. (I have no passport or driving licence so when I moved to UC 14 months ago I had no chance of using it).
    If  you can't do ID online then it needs a face to face appointment - unless you are physicaly (or mentally) unable to attend
    In the end it is a condition of claiming UC that you verify your identity to UC.

Universal Credit no longer uses Government Gateway or GOV.UK Verify for online verification.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-verify-your-identity-for-universal-credit
    27 February 2024 
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Remember that you don't have to claim Universal Credits if you don't want to or because you find it inconvenient.

Of course your Tax Credits will end and you might loose out on some Universal Credit. But if employment earnings are at a level where the amount you get from benefits is not significant enough and in 12 months after transition you no longer qualify for the benefit, then why bother?

From what I have heard there are significant numbers of people deciding not to move to Universal Credit, because the amount of money involved does not warrant taking time off work and having to complete ongoing activities regarding their claims. For those self employed, once you have attended a Gateway intervention appointment at Job Centre to verify self employment, you then have to complete income and expenses information every month. And where part-time you may have to attend further appointments during the year.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    sheramber said:
    Newcad said:

Universal Credit no longer uses Government Gateway or GOV.UK Verify for online verification.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-verify-your-identity-for-universal-credit
    27 February 2024 

Thanks,
    The online guidance was changed on 29th January 2024 and I hadn't noticed it.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback