Why won't mortgage vendors consider me?

Options
Hi All, I'm 51 yrs old earn over 110k a year. Due to personal circa stances and paracite landlords I need to buy somewhere quickly or face living on the streets (metaphorically speaking).  The most any vendor will consider is a 95k loan. 
I cannot even buy a shared ownership flat at this price.  What on earth is the problem, how is it possible for my landlord similar age to keep buying properties at in excess of 400k multiple times a year?
Anybody have a responsible explanation or options to consider?  

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,974 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What is your planned retirement age? Some lenders will go to 70, but that may depend if you have a sedentary job.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £95k? So there's an issue with your income and how it's made up, your commitments are too high or you have set too short a term. "Mortgage vendors?" where are you from? How many mortgage brokers have you approached?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you talked to a mortgage broker? It could be things like having a small deposit, not having a ‘stable’ source of income, not having very good credit history etc
  • kingstreet
    Options
    £110k p/a all basic, 10% deposit, no commitments and an 18 year term to 70, I'm getting £443k on the Halifax affordability calculator.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • FedupUK2024
    Options
    Thanks everyone, to cover the points. 
    I live in the NW of the UK. 
    I have very little debt roughly £650 on credit cards.
    Liquid assets of about £30k
    Retirement age is set at 67 from the pensions perspective.  
    Full time employed in a snr position at at global fortune 500 company. 
    My last 2x mortgages were paid off in full 20 years early. 
    I no longer have either home due to divorce. 
    In effect I'm a 51yr old first time buyer.
    I've not tried any brokers I've gone direct to vendors even tried my previous HSBC.
    Credit history is rock solid, credit rating excellent. 
    I'm wondering if it's a risk factor because of my age and constant weekly air travel. 

Being honest and hard working all your life seems to be valued less than corruption  by money lenders!  
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Your age is a factor but not in the way you think. 
    Your age and retirement age means you are not looking at a 25 year mortgage, so the 4x income multiple is probably out. 

But you should be looking at well over what you are gettnig unless there is something else. As kingstreet says, there is a problem, it could be a number of things although I am going with your income as an initial guess - is it all basic or is it say £50k basic and then £65k overtime or bonuses? That can make a big difference. 

Speak to a broker. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kingstreet
    Options
    None of that suggests the loan amount you are suggesting. You can choose a selected retirement age different to that of your pension scheme.

Put the details in here https://www.halifax-intermediaries.co.uk/tools-calculators/mortgage-affordability-calculator.html
    and you should be offered £472,185.

One applicant
    No dependents
    £500,000 PP
    £475,000 mortgage
    18 year term
    Freehold
    £110,000 basic
    £650 card debt.

If the facts vary from the above, enter what is correct.
  • noitsnotme
    noitsnotme Posts: 908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You’re not a first time buyer as you have previously owned property.  Are you trying to apply as a first time buyer?
  • kingstreet
    Options
    You’re not a first time buyer as you have previously owned property.  Are you trying to apply as a first time buyer?
    Shouldn't be an issue here. However, FWIW Nationwide treats those who have been mortgage-free for three years or longer as an FTB.
  • noitsnotme
    noitsnotme Posts: 908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Shouldn't be an issue here. However, FWIW Nationwide treats those who have been mortgage-free for three years or longer as an FTB.
    Thanks, wasn’t aware of that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure