Recent Success in Reducing Cost for our Business

Options
MrInvisible1
MrInvisible1 Posts: 7 Forumite
First Post
edited 8 March at 9:15AM in Small biz MoneySaving
Hi all, I'll make this quick,

We have a small business which requires a small 'fleet'  as we try to provide the vans for our engineers to go out and get the works done. Recently a friend told me about the option of using Salary Sacrifice so the lads can own their own vehicle at a discount while I can make a saving also, tried it out with one of our permanent staff and I ended up making a saving of £11,500 a year as we grow ever so slightly bigger year-by-year.

The Mrs has just called me for tea so I won't bore you with facts and figures but I suggest speaking with the below company and doing a demo with them and getting a quote. It worked out well for me, can't say for your business but 

If you have any questions let me know and I'll come back later.

https://motorsourcesalarysacrifice.com/ 

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 March at 10:10AM
    Options
    What is the benefit for your employees?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • MrInvisible1
    MrInvisible1 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    elsien said:
    We pay a portion of the cost of the cars + a service fee + Insurance instead of the full amount of the vehicle so our employees end up with a discounted vehicle which is brand new. For example if we need to increase our fleet and 1 van cost £15,000, the car broker will ask us (the company) to pay £3,000 - £6,000 on the car + Service charge being 20% of procurement costs (for the sake of this example let's say their procurement costs were £18,000) + £1,500 PI insurance (this is different for each contract). The employee is offered finance on £10,000 - £12,000 at 0% interest for the first 3 years instead of taking the hit of the full price of the vehicle. In this example it's a 20% - 40% discount on the vehicle.

Cost of procuring the vehicle in-house and baring the cost of maintenance during ownership:

Van: £15,000
    Import fees: £1,000 (minimum in my experience)
    Delivery Fee: £350
    Road Tax PA: £300 - £800 
    MOT: £200 - several thousand depending on what repairs are required
    Insurance PA: £1,500 - £3000 (dependant on driver)
    Total cost of vehicle: £16,350
    Total annual maintenance: £1,800 - £3,800
    Total potential cost: £20,150

Cost of using Salary Sacrifice scheme with car broker:

Partial cost of the vehicle: £3,000 - £6,000
    Service Charge: £3,600
    PI Insurance: £1,500
    Total cost to the company: £8100 - £11,100

Total cost to the employee:
    Roughly: £10,000 - £13,000 depending on how much they sacrifice from their salary per month and whether they can pay it off before interest kicks in.

The broker also helps them to set up their insurance and works it into the monthly salary sacrifice.

A lot of the lads are young or don't have a car and need one they may opt to get a car through us or van if it suits them.

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,143 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    elsien said:
    We pay a portion of the cost of the cars + a service fee + Insurance instead of the full amount of the vehicle so our employees end up with a discounted vehicle which is brand new. For example if we need to increase our fleet and 1 van cost £15,000, the car broker will ask us (the company) to pay £3,000 - £6,000 on the car + Service charge being 20% of procurement costs (for the sake of this example let's say their procurement costs were £18,000) + £1,500 PI insurance (this is different for each contract). The employee is offered finance on £10,000 - £12,000 at 0% interest for the first 3 years instead of taking the hit of the full price of the vehicle. In this example it's a 20% - 40% discount on the vehicle.

Cost of procuring the vehicle in-house and baring the cost of maintenance during ownership:

Van: £15,000
    Import fees: £1,000 (minimum in my experience)
    Delivery Fee: £350
    Road Tax PA: £300 - £800 
    MOT: £200 - several thousand depending on what repairs are required
    Insurance PA: £1,500 - £3000 (dependant on driver)
    Total cost of vehicle: £16,350
    Total annual maintenance: £1,800 - £3,800
    Total potential cost: £20,150

Cost of using Salary Sacrifice scheme with car broker:

Partial cost of the vehicle: £3,000 - £6,000
    Service Charge: £3,600
    PI Insurance: £1,500
    Total cost to the company: £8100 - £11,100

Total cost to the employee:
    Roughly: £10,000 - £13,000 depending on how much they sacrifice from their salary per month and whether they can pay it off before interest kicks in.

The broker also helps them to set up their insurance and works it into the monthly salary sacrifice.

A lot of the lads are young or don't have a car and need one they may opt to get a car through us or van if it suits them.

What about the benefit in kind  charged by HMRC  on the employee  for the salary sacrIfice car?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/salary-sacrifice-and-the-effects-on-paye#overview
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback