We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Buy dressings or use fabric plaster strips?

Ok, I have a injury on my leg that I have been treated for and have an appointment next week at hospital for another checkup, the dressing was worn out and lost its stickiness and so I went to my local GP's and they the wound is healed so no more dressings needed.

The area around the wound is still very sore and the dressing helped with the pain from it (its around my knee area) as the padding meant it was easier to move.

I have put a fabric strip on but its not very sticky and don't think it will last the night.  I could buy a pack of dressings but for the area required I think a bigger one would be required and the cheapest pack is £9.99 on Amazon (and don't know any shops that would sell them as Wilko's is gone now)

I know Asda has bandages and some dressings and even clear tape just note sure if its worth it to get some.

Also not meant to walk on my leg for a while so don't want to leave the house.

An idea I had was to cut the fabric strip in the way I only remove one sticky corner then make a double sized one for my wound as a cheap way of doing it, and maybe buy a bandage and wrap that around the area so the plaster doesn't catch anything and loosen.

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    My local chemist sells them individually and quite cheaply but I would say try not to, if they've told you it doesn't need one it will heal better without.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,668 Forumite
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 8 March at 10:35AM
    I'm currently dressing a wound with a wider crepe bandage roll cut into smaller pieces and microporous tape. 
    I'm changing mine twice a day with a few hours airing time to help dry up the wound. 
    Anything you buy now won't be a waste as you can keep it for the future. 
  • dekaspace1
    dekaspace1 Posts: 422 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper 100 Posts
    I ended up buying dressings from Amazon but I think I can bear with the discomfort for a few days now I am used to it.

Did get some of that clear medical tape from Savers also in case I need to put something on but didn't go for bandages, if it does get sore I had padding meant for my foot I can just tape to knee.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.