Is eco4 real?!

Options
vegg
vegg Posts: 5 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
It sounds too good to be true! I definitely qualify. But 2 companies have been out, taken my details and then gone quiet.
I am in Dorset and can't even find where there is a local company doing eco4. Are there any positive stories!? 

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes it's real, there are quite a few successess reported on this forum.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, it's real. I'll be getting a free heat pump and solar panels, shortly.
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,173 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's real but if you manage to get a quote you may find it is more geared to what will earn the installer the most money within the limits of the scheme than to what you want and what will be cheapest to run when you have it.
    Reed
  • Netexporter
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    But you can cancel up to 24 hours before installation if you don't get the answers you are looking for.
  • vegg
    vegg Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I'm told I'm entitled to the lot in my G rated pre war house but I'm sceptical, I really need to be on the ball, I have a surveyor coming on Monday and lots of questions! 🤔
  • catnap53
    catnap53 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    vegg said:
    Thank you everyone, I'm told I'm entitled to the lot in my G rated pre war house but I'm sceptical, I really need to be on the ball, I have a surveyor coming on Monday and lots of questions! 🤔
    Do you have an update for this? I had a company visit yesterday and was told they can replace my very old boiler. I am very sceptical,  but have a surveyor appointment booked on the understanding that I can cancel. 

Thanks. 
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is real but i am more concerned about the quality of the new installations. Who is doing them ? Not all installers are equal.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Netexporter
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do your due diligence on the potential installers, the same as you would if you were directly employing them.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A relative has recently had a letter apparently from her local authority stating that they think her property might be eligible and to contact a helpline to discuss.

As it happens, her boiler is probably Z rated and very old. 

She has worked all her life and doesnt claim anything but is a pensioner.

Im not sure how ECO4 works. I assume some kind of assessor visits and give the nod for a grant?

Is the grant likely to cover the full cost of a new boiler?

Can i take that grant to any installer of my choice?

If not why not?

Thanks all
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Netexporter
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Best to contact the local authority, as long as the helpline is bona fide. The LA are the gate-keepers in that they do the financial vetting to check eligibility. However, different LAs take differing approaches. I had assumed I wasn't eligible because, although I was below the £31000 income level, I wasn't in receipt of any of the listed benefits. However, I am fortunate that my LA has slackened the criteria to just income, so I'll be getting a heat-pump and all associated gear (ie, a complete new central heating system), plus a 4kW solar array to help run it, completely free.

The money goes direct to the installer, so you need to check them out before signing anything.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback