Return DD charges

Options
I am with Right Fuel Company as it saves me a bit on my fuel costs due to them being high with my job (I am NHS Care @ Home) my DD debit recently returned as I had forgotten to transfer money into the account it gets paid from, I have received a £60 +vat charge (£73)! I called as it appears such a high charge, they said that they charge £30+vat for first return, £60+vat for second and £90+vat for third, they said that because I had a return last year, 24/07/23 then this is now classed as my second default, the return was paid last year as soon as I realised it had bounced back and again I paid the bill this time it was returned as soon as I was aware, surely they can’t charge for a second default 8 months after ithe first baring in mind my account is up to date and clear? Can anyone please advise if I can dispute this ?
thanks

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If their terms say they can, then yes they can 

Not sure how you are planning to dispute it when you freely admit you've twice failed to have funds in for the DD to be taken from
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Isn't there something about charges being fair and reasonable?  Or is that just bank charges?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Banks tend to not charge. But this is not a bank it is a retailer. As such many have a £30 charge.

Sadly it will be as per their t/c. You can try asking, but it would be a good will gesture by them & as a rule that would be on the 1st attempt, not any later ones.

How much was the DD for?
    As this appears to be a fuel card. Do not not put funds into account to cover this amount, when it's due? if not would be a good mover going forward.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure