Options
2»

Comments

• Gandalf644
    Gandalf644 Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Thanks all.

To answer a couple of points above, firstly I am looking at either buying new or Motability. I prefer vehicles with a manufacturer’s warranty and to use main dealers (even if not exactly MSE-ish).

I don’t think there is any chance of my amputated leg growing back, so losing a Motability car is not an issue.

I have made an appointment with the dealer for later this week as am minded to go down the Motability route and basically leave the savings in the bank. 

Thanks again.

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,409 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Thanks all.

To answer a couple of points above, firstly I am looking at either buying new or Motability. I prefer vehicles with a manufacturer’s warranty and to use main dealers (even if not exactly MSE-ish).

I don’t think there is any chance of my amputated leg growing back, so losing a Motability car is not an issue.

I have made an appointment with the dealer for later this week as am minded to go down the Motability route and basically leave the savings in the bank. 

Thanks again.

I think the issue with fitting expensive new adaptions for free, means the Motability route is favoured for you.
  • Gandalf644
    edited 11 March at 11:37AM
    Options

Thanks all.

Thanks again.

I think the issue with fitting expensive new adaptions for free, means the Motability route is favoured for you.

Yes.
    Having spent the weekend 'doing the sums' there is little in it, but weighted a bit towards Motability. However the adaption costs if buying outright swing it quite majorly in favour of Motability over a 3 year period. 
  • Gandalf644
    Options

Thanks all.

I ordered the Sportage GT Line S Auto AWD on the Motability scheme on Friday afternoon just gone. Given a rough date of July 24 for collection.

I had a rep from the adaptions installer there as well to ensure all adaptions were both compatible and listed on the order form.  

The dealer was a little unsure over the £600 auto grant, but it seems I pay the full £1307 advanced payment (with the £750 new vehicle payment included) on collection of the vehicle and claim the grant back separately? I don’t pay anything for the adaptations.

Overall, though, a relatively painless process.

Thanks again.

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My wheelchair fits in a Fiat Panda .  :) It is a manual extra light, though.
  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 1,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't forget the "paid for" breakdown cover and servicing, tyres, windscreen and insurance...
    Plus "lack of worry" - that's priceless as far as I am concerned
    a BRAND NEW replacement car, every three years as well
    I am planning on using Motability next year (I am 2 years in to 10 year PIP)
    No idea what car I will pick - it's got to be a Torque Converter automatic
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,409 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't forget the "paid for" breakdown cover and servicing, tyres, windscreen and insurance...
    Plus "lack of worry" - that's priceless as far as I am concerned
    a BRAND NEW replacement car, every three years as well
    I am planning on using Motability next year (I am 2 years in to 10 year PIP)
    No idea what car I will pick - it's got to be a Torque Converter automatic
    Yes of course those items help.

However at the end of the day though by far the  main cost is the depreciation of the vehicle, and that is what the majority of your payments are funding. 
    New vehicles depreciate the most in the first 3 years, usually 40 to 60% .
    So if you buy outright then keep it for a few years, and/or buy second hand, you dilute this early depreciation and it works out cheaper.
    However you do not get a new vehicle every 3 years.
    That is where the trade off is.

• knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,002 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 March at 12:06PM
    Options
    I look at it like this... Motability you pay around £14k over 3 years and have nothing at the end.
    Buy a two or three year old car for a similar amount and you will save money after three years.
    We used to have motability years ago but have bought cars for the last 20 years or so.  Currently have a Ford Cmax, cost £12k as a 2 year old ex motability car, it is now 10 years old, over 100k miles and we are now thinking of changing it.
    I recon we have saved over £10k by not having a motability car for those 8 years.
    However we didn't need any adaptions, just a comfortable automatic.
    In your case yes motability seems like a sensible answer, when making comparisons don't forget to factor in insurance, roadside assistance servicing and tyres etc.
    Juist noticed you want a torque converter auto, WHY?  I have had Toyota autos that were CBT and they were fine. Our current Cmax has powershift and is now over 100k miles with no problems and is still as smooth as it was when new. But I do have it serviced properly with gear box oil changes etc.  The problems people have come when they skimp on servicing as they think £200 can be saved by not changing the gear box oil!
  • Purplefoxlass
    Purplefoxlass Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 29 March at 7:12PM
    Options
    For me, it depends on how much your car insurance costs. I currently have a car on PCP, because I have less than a year on a PIP award, but if I could have, I would have gone via Motability as I’ve driven them, and dealt with them for many years as a named driver, and they are fantastic. I get stung on insurance because of where I live, and because I have a medical restricted driving license which is renewed every three years. I would like a hoist in my own car, but cannot afford the adaptions, but I wouldn’t hesitate to go on Motability if I could.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback