We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Reduced ours and permanent overtime

I’ve had my hours reduced at eork to three days not four but I’m expected to do the fourth day as overtime. This isn’t asked they just add me to the rota each week.  So I lose a days wages every time I take a weeks holiday. The reason is there employing someone else full time so had to reduce my hours to be able to justify their hours. Is this something they can do as I feel really unhappy about it and it doesn’t sit right with me! Also my role as supervisor/acting manager will no longer be present as their getting employed as a manager and there is now going to be just two of us. Can they reduce my pay

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    Photogenic Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Have you checked what your employment contract says?
  • Bigdaddy77
    Bigdaddy77 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I keep asking for one but they make up excuses. It’s a fairly new job but in the past I’ve never had to do overtime.
  • Bigdaddy77
    It just bugs me that I feel I’m being taken for a mug. In previous roles overtime was offered and I was asked before being signed up for it but this overtime is basically my previous hours
  • Bigdaddy77
    I’m currently salaried
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    Photogenic Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    so is your salary based on 4 days a week or 3?

• Bigdaddy77
    Yes it’s based on a four day week of roughly 23 hours now I’m doing 3 days plus 6-7 hours of expected overtime
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,897 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If the overtime is regular (as this appears to be) then your holiday pay calculation should include overtime. ie if you take a weeks holiday you should get paid the 4 days pay (3 normal & 1 o/t).

https://www.acas.org.uk/pay-for-working-extra-hours
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 11,848 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    I’ve had my hours reduced at eork to three days not four but I’m expected to do the fourth day as overtime. This isn’t asked they just add me to the rota each week.  So I lose a days wages every time I take a weeks holiday. The reason is there employing someone else full time so had to reduce my hours to be able to justify their hours. Is this something they can do as I feel really unhappy about it and it doesn’t sit right with me! Also my role as supervisor/acting manager will no longer be present as their getting employed as a manager and there is now going to be just two of us. Can they reduce my pay
    How long have you been employed by this employer?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Bigdaddy77
    Since April but current position since October. Thanks @Andy_L for that information 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.