IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Fine Due To Time Of Payment - Discrepancy Between Payment Time and Parkingeye System Time

Options
Hi all - new to this forum and finding it difficult to find information about this specific scenario. 

My wife parked at Crewe Alexandra FC car park 2 on 13th February and as per Parkingeye / Pay-by-phone guidance payment can be made up to midnight on the date of parking. The Pay-by-phone app shows parking was paid at 8:07pm on 13th Feb. We have received a parking charge notice from Parkingeye for that date and having challenged it with the receipt from Pay-by-phone received a letter back stating that the appeal had been declined due to an incorrect location or payment via a service that is not associated to Parkingeye.

I spoke to them via their WhatsApp chat function to ask for more details on what that means and they told me that their system says the payment was made on 14th Feb and backdated to 13th - not sure that’s even possible but the Pay-by-phone receipt shows that “parking started” at 8:07pm. I subsequently found out that my wife’s bank account records time of transaction (I didn’t know that when I sent the Pay-by-phone receipt as appeal evidence) and the bank account also shows that payment was made at 8:07pm on 13th Feb. I offered to send that to Parkingeye for them to reassess but they kept defaulting to “the claim has already been assessed and any further appeal should be via POPLA”. They have refused to tell me what time on 14th Feb their system says the payment was made.

Question is do I go to POPLA with my two pieces of evidence that payment was made on the date of parking and therefore in accordance with the terms of parking or do I need to challenge it differently?

Alternatively should I present the evidence to Crewe Alexandra FC as the landowner and ask them to get the charge removed?

As it stands we have an offer to pay a discounted charge of £20 but if we don’t and we lose the appeal the charge is £100.

Thanks for reading and let me know if any further information required. R.

Comments

• Debszzzz2
    Debszzzz2 Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 March at 3:34PM
    Options
    Plan A first. What have Crewe Alexandra FC said? You've already done Plan B. Plan C is to appeal to POPLA with your evidence and all the other "kitchen sink" points that go in a POPLA appeal.
  • RGH1981
    RGH1981 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks Debs for responding. I’ve not spoke to Crewe Alex yet - just scanning their website now for appropriate contacts. Let’s hope that works as the POPLA route is time consuming. I can’t believe I’m even having to have the argument with them!
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,381 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You should also complain to your MP about this unregulated private parking company. 
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have the evidence, but Parking Eye will carry on harassing hoping you will give in.
    This once again exposes the fact that ANPR systems are not fit for purpose and are banned for use in authority car parks.
    Carry on with plan A I am sure you will win this if PE take this to court, POPLA are quite useless and will side with PE who they will assume have looked at your appeal correctly but they will never accept an error in ANPR technology.

• RGH1981
    RGH1981 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks all. I’ve just sent all the details to a few email addresses I found in the Crewe Alexandra website along with screenshots of the receipt and my wife’s bank account. 

The ANPR hasn’t actually failed here I don’t think - it picked up the car leaving the car park at the right time on 13th February- they’re arguing that we somehow made a backdated payment on 14th Feb but won’t share with me what time they say that payment was made.

What a total waste of everyone’s time….except theirs I guess for the extra revenue if I pay the charge amount!

Will update if and when I hear back from Crewe Alex. 

R.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 March at 9:00PM
    Options
    RGH1981 said:

The ANPR hasn’t actually failed here I don’t think - it picked up the car leaving the car park at the right time on 13th February- they’re arguing that we somehow made a backdated payment on 14th Feb but won’t share with me what time they say that payment was made.

Yes but they use ANPR/payment link that seems out of sync with each other.
    I have just put my details into the Pay By Phone app you cannot pay for the day before, and it says:
    You have until 11:59 on the day of parking to complete payment for your session at this location. (location number is 88626)
    As usual Parking Eye are trying to claim they are always right everyone else is wrong!
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    RGH1981 said:
    See what you mean - learning more about parking charges than I ever thought I’d have to! I’ve spoken to Crewe Alexandra and they’ve asked Parkingeye to cancel the charge and confirm back to me that they have so I’ll await their notification before believing it will happen!
    If I were you, I would send an e-mail to the person you spoke to, thanking them for getting it cancelled, as a phone call is worth the paper it is printed on - NOT!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,973 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    And do a POPLA appeal if the PEye website doesn't show it as cancelled by this time next week.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback