Credit card protection for service

Options
darkcloudi
darkcloudi Posts: 567 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 6 March at 10:47AM in Credit cards
So its a strange one and posting on behalf of family as i'm unsure how this works compared to buying a product.

So family purchased a cemetery plot on 19th Jul 2022 (paid £2400), and appears they used a credit card (they need to confirm that when they return from holiday). They have only come to realise it this week the company went into administration (based on others who paid). I googled the company and appears appointment of administrators happened on 28th November 2023, i'm assuming as its a service that won't be honoured - guess they would still be protected and can claim from credit card company? 

I'm confused how this works as assumed if they purchased a plot, it would be similar to land registry and would be registered and belong to them, but guess the company was dodgy and did not reserve the plots , difficult to say. I'm trying my best to help them and get more information.

Comments

• darkcloudi
    Options
    Guess a google https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/complaints-can-help/credit-borrowing-money/goods-services-bought-credit#:~:text=If you used a credit,supplier of goods or services.

Suggests services are covered to, so guess just have to get family to contact credit card company when they are back to confirm they used it and go through relevant procedure.
  • MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 March at 11:02AM
    Options
    There is no difference between a product and service.

But the same time restrictions on chargebacks apply, so you need to get the detail of what has happened, also whether they paid on a credit card on not.  There's a lot of guessing in your post at the moment.
  • darkcloudi
    Options
    Thanks, i'm like the admin guy of the family, so when things go wrong i'm the one who has to sort it :( but will see if I can get more info on this.

Thanks again
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just because administrators have been appointed doesn't mean the service won't be rendered, some companies can be turned around or are sold as going concern. Some companies go through administration multiple times and keep re-emerging. 

S75 does cover services in the same was as goods. 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So its a strange one and posting on behalf of family as i'm unsure how this works compared to buying a product.

So family purchased a cemetery plot on 19th Jul 2022 (paid £2400), and appears they used a credit card (they need to confirm that when they return from holiday). They have only come to realise it this week the company went into administration (based on others who paid). I googled the company and appears appointment of administrators happened on 28th November 2023, i'm assuming as its a service that won't be honoured - guess they would still be protected and can claim from credit card company? 

I'm confused how this works as assumed if they purchased a plot, it would be similar to land registry and would be registered and belong to them, but guess the company was dodgy and did not reserve the plots , difficult to say. I'm trying my best to help them and get more information.
    While services are covered under S75. 
    You are going to have to do a lot of digging (no pun intended) As it is possible that this company are not the land owner & the land owner has been paid. So the plot is secure.

In reality the best advice is wait till you have ALL the facts then come back to this thread & update it. Till then it is all guess work, which can be prone to incorrect advice.👍
    Also be aware as you are not the account holder, they will need to start the process.
    Life in the slow lane
  • darkcloudi
    Options
    thanks all, will get as much information as I can when they get back from holiday. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback