Opinions of Starling Bank for a Business Account?

Options
Since starting my ltd company, we’ve been using Santander for our business account. No major issues but I started looking round for a new bank around a year ago because the old Santander mobile banking app was so outdated and you couldn’t see full details of payments coming in/out. At the time, I opened a Starling account but never really used it. 

A year on and the Santander app still doesn’t have notifications when you receive/send payments so I’m starting to consider switching to Starling as our main account. 

Does anyone here use Starling as their main bank? Any opinions? Anyone that doesn’t like Starling and if so, why?

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't help re Starling but I use Santander for business banking.  Maybe it's different on the mobile app, but on a PC Santander show payments arriving and leaving the account.  Each item is listed by date with a column for credits and another for debits. 
    Do you want to receive a text every time there's a transaction?  It doesn't do that and it's not a worry for me as I can just log in to the account to see what is happening.
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    martindow said:
    I can't help re Starling but I use Santander for business banking.  Maybe it's different on the mobile app, but on a PC Santander show payments arriving and leaving the account.  Each item is listed by date with a column for credits and another for debits. 
    Do you want to receive a text every time there's a transaction?  It doesn't do that and it's not a worry for me as I can just log in to the account to see what is happening.
    So with my personal account, I get a notification pop up on my phone each time I receive a payment into my bank. This is the main thing I would find really useful on our business account, mainly so I don’t have to keep logging into online banking to check if a customer has paid their invoice for example. 

As I said, when I started to look at alternatives over a year ago, the Santander mobile app didn’t even show you full details of the payments. You also couldn’t set up a new payee on the app (could only make payments to existing payees etc) so was really limiting. That at least has been fixed since they came out with their new business banking mobile app. 
  • SensibleSarah
    SensibleSarah Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use Starling for my business account (I'm a sole trader) and had no issues whatsoever in the nearly 3 years to date. I get push notifications every time money comes in or out and never had any problems doing what I need in the app.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,447 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use Starling for my business account (I'm a sole trader) and had no issues whatsoever in the nearly 3 years to date. I get push notifications every time money comes in or out and never had any problems doing what I need in the app.

Ditto here with our Ltd Co
  • pjs493
    pjs493 Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don’t know about Starling, but I use Mettle by NatWest for my limited company and get notifications every time I receive funds into the account, make a payment from the account, or use the account debit card. 

I find it useful to be alerted when customers pay invoices so I can send them a prompt receipt. 
  • LadyWithAPlan
    LadyWithAPlan Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I use starling for my ltd company and it’s great - notifications. You can use their pots and free business banking 
    v highly recommended 
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback