We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Fence paint.

Options
HillStreetBlues
HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,206 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
My garden fences were painted last year but already in some places it's washed off.
Is there an additive that can be used in water based paint to make it more hardy?
Let's Be Careful Out There

Comments

• MCT56
    MCT56 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not aware of any additive. My suggestion is to always buy the more expensive oil based stuff. It lasts longer and will save you money, time and effort in the long run. The climate in the UK doesn't help.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    edited 5 March at 6:16PM
    Options
    Someone else might have better experience, but that's exactly why for outdoor wood like fences I would lean towards a protective stain/oil based product which penetrates the wood and acts as a physical moisture barrier. 

That said, I've had some fences installed in the last 6 months and was talking to a local guy about getting them sprayed this summer - he said he's had good results with Bedec Barn Paint (which I believe from google is waterbased). 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I tried Ronseal fence paint on some things and it was ok on new wood but poor otherwise. For a saving of a couple of pounds not worth it.
    Ive tried Johnsons and that washed off quickly.
    I've used Ducksback and that is good and lasting. My only problem with it was you can't touch up. If the wood has hardened it wont take.

The best has been a good quality fence panel that has been pressure treated well and left as natural.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A fellah told me years ago that the very best thing to paint garden fences with is used engine oil. Have you got a garage near you? They'll all but give it away because it costs them to get rid of it. 
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A fellah told me years ago that the very best thing to paint garden fences with is used engine oil. Have you got a garage near you? They'll all but give it away because it costs them to get rid of it. 
    That was always used if we ran out of creosote, not as easy disposal as pouring it down the drain of course >:)

These eco days, maybe painting fences with old oil is frowned upon? And these days some oil is not the same, some is magic stuff that hasn't seen the inside of a refinery.

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sure you'd hardly know what to do for the best would you. Is reusing it more eco than disposing of it? What if, in reusing it, it's now open to the elements for years to come?  I bet the right answer is not to reuse it. 

I miss the lovely smell you got from sun-warmed creosote-painted fences. 

But none of that is useful so I'll shurrup now.
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

My Dad used to mix old engine oil and creosote to paint my panel fence. We installed the fence in 1996, and it was still fine when we moved in 2019. It's probably still there now. We moved on to using 'creocote' which wasn't as full on as the original mix, but was probably not quite as carcinogenic.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve used Ronseal Fencelife plus on a number of fences and it seems to last pretty well. Certainly doesn’t wash off once it’s dried. What state was the fence in before painting?
    531063 Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yeah, old engine oil and paraffin mixed together
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure