New FREELY TV vs Freeview and Freeplay TV - Do i need a new TV . . .

Options
Maxwell008
Maxwell008 Posts: 30 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 6 March at 10:11AM in Phones & TV

Freely user interface revealed with first-time features for free TV.

UK public service broadcasters set to futureproof free TV for the streaming age, as research reveals half of UK homes will watch TV exclusively over broadband by 2030.

Monday 5 February 2024: Everyone TV - the organisation leading the evolution of free TV in the UK – today announces that its new streaming service Freely, backed by BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5, will launch in Q2 2024.

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It will probably be an app, almost all modern televisions have an App Store and apps.
  • Maxwell008
    Options
    I agree but concerned the app will not be available to Everyone unless they have a newer TV . . . 
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 March at 2:23PM
    Options
    I agree but concerned the app will not be available to Everyone unless they have a newer TV . . . 
    Well thats not really an issue yet, there isnt a date for Freeview switch off.  Thats essentially all this app is - Freeview over t'internet.
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They were originally talking about winding down Freeview by 2030 but that's been pushed back to 2034 now. At this moment in time there's only the Hisense brand confirmed to have the Freely App and only new TVs at that. You would have thought that the App could be developed and pushed out to other TVs, although it will only be newer models with no guarantees even then.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If Freeview is continuing until ~ 2034, why would any TV manufacturer be interested currently in pushing out an app to pre '24 sets ? Not that many people will still be using a set bought over 10 years ago and even fewer will want Freely when they can stream everything via the catch up apps.
  • Maxwell008
    Options
    Thanks JS and La5.
    I'm currently looking at the Hisense U7 Series that has Freely.
    I hope it is pushed out to other brands this year.
  • JSmithy45AD
    Options
    If Freeview is continuing until ~ 2034, why would any TV manufacturer be interested currently in pushing out an app to pre '24 sets ? Not that many people will still be using a set bought over 10 years ago and even fewer will want Freely when they can stream everything via the catch up apps.
    If that was in reply to me then I was more meaning newer sets closer to turn off point, so sets not made (or even designed) yet. Freely will (I suspect) be more like Sky Stream is now where the main catchup Apps are accessed via a common interface. As an aside the Freeview Advice line will be looked after by the same people who look after Freesat later this year at some point and may be the same people dealing with Freely.
  • Peppa537
    Peppa537 Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    The Freely app, as far as I can make out, will only stream channels that are already available via their own apps/catch up services. Talking Pictures TV etc won't be on there. People are better off just getting a firestick and downloading these channels own apps onto it (BBC iplayer, ITVX, Channel 4 and and UK Play) rather than buying a new TV for Freely, especially until how it will work longterm with all channels is known. 
  • JSmithy45AD
    Options
    Peppa537 said:
    The Freely app, as far as I can make out, will only stream channels that are already available via their own apps/catch up services. Talking Pictures TV etc won't be on there. People are better off just getting a firestick and downloading these channels own apps onto it (BBC iplayer, ITVX, Channel 4 and and UK Play) rather than buying a new TV for Freely, especially until how it will work longterm with all channels is known. 
    No, it's to replace Freeview (and Freesat) when they're finally turned off for live TV and especially the public service channels such as the BBC and ITV channels. They'll also (hopefully) incorporate the catchup services into one app that works seamlessly.
  • JSmithy45AD
    Options
    Thanks JS and La5.
    I'm currently looking at the Hisense U7 Series that has Freely.
    I hope it is pushed out to other brands this year.
    As previously, I wouldn't sweat it about getting a Freely TV right now although if you're getting a new TV then it won't hurt I suppose. Just be aware that there's no guarantee it'll still work for Freely in 10 years time when the transmitters are turned off.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback