Ending IVA

Options
dugma1975
dugma1975 Posts: 40 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I have just enetered my 5th year of my IVA.
My current fixed term mortgage expires Oct 24 with my IVA finishing its 5th year Nov 24.
I have spoken to several people from my IP who until last week gave me an indication of how much I would need to raise to pay off my IVA rather than entering 1 final year before write off.
I have invstigated getting a 2nd charge mortgage which covers the settlement amount and more.
However, the figure provided by my IP is £20k more than was indicated over the phone only 5 weeks earlier.
Whilst I acknowledge I have a significant amount to pay back i.e. 100p/£1 I am confused how the figures quoted over the phone is so far off the official calculated amount. 
In short the amount I need to pay is practically the same as what the debt was when I first enetered the IVA. It seems strange and that I have paid every month without fail for the past 50 months but yet the amount I pay back is still equal to the debt in the first place.

It seems I have to pay nearly £20k in fees to teh IP which I also find strange (this is included in the amount I pay not additional) For someone who enetered this style of agreement in the first place the charge to administer and setle early is outrageous!

Am I wrong in thinking I have been duped or is it me and in fact its all accurate (appreciate no one really know the specifics to my case).

Any advise greatly appreciated

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    IVA`s can be a double edged sword, if your repaying 100p/£, you are going to pay 100% of the debt, plus fee`s, there will be no write off, and no early discount either.

You only get a write off when you have a large amount of debt you can`t pay, and can only afford a small amount monthly towards them.

I would say the vast majority of those in IVA`s don`t understand how they actually work, one reason why so many are mis-sold.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback