95% limit on balance transfers

Options
beefturnmail
beefturnmail Posts: 906 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Most credit cards limit balance transfers to 95% of available credit limit - is this all balance transfers, of for each balance transfer made?

Say I had a credit limit of £10k and made a BT of £9.5k.  Could I then make a second BT of £475 (95% of the £500 credit limit remaining)? 

There is no BT fee

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to allow for the BT fee. i.e. 4%. 
  • beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 906 Forumite
    Options
    There is no BT fee
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Options
    Most credit cards limit balance transfers to 95% of available credit limit - is this all balance transfers, of for each balance transfer made?

Say I had a credit limit of £10k and made a BT of £9.5k.  Could I then make a second BT of £475 (95% of the £500 credit limit remaining)? 
    It's the total on the card - so if you did 95% balance, even if it includes the fee, you can't then use up the 5% with another 95% transfer

More than likely though the 5% will be used up by the fee anyway

Not to stop you paying off some of the BT though and freeing up space for a second transfer - depends how long they let you do BT after the card is opened
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It may vary by card provider. Ulster bank seems to be 95% of remaining credit so theoretically one could keep making smaller and smaller BTs until the minimum amount cannot be met. I say seems to be as it was the explanation given when putting through a second BT by phone, and being told I had more space to transfer than the amount I'd calculated to get to the 95% of limit.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 March at 11:40AM
    Options
    daivid said:
    It may vary by card provider. Ulster bank seems to be 95% of remaining credit so theoretically one could keep making smaller and smaller BTs until the minimum amount cannot be met. I say seems to be as it was the explanation given when putting through a second BT by phone, and being told I had more space to transfer than the amount I'd calculated to get to the 95% of limit.
    Yes, some cards are like this - you can keep repeatedly doing smaller and smaller transfers but never quite reaching 100%. 
    I had a Virgin card that allowed up to 95% of the total credit limit, but when you went to make the actual transfer it allowed for a 1% fee which then wasn't charged and reduced the maximum amount you could request by 1%, so you could keep doing smaller and smaller transfers to approach 95% of the credit limit, but never quite get there. Weird. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback