American Express Platinum Cashback Credit Card

Options
steven141
steven141 Posts: 88 Forumite
First Post
I have this credit card and have reached £100 cashback (I’ve had this for 2 months now). I have until the end of March with the 5% cashback offer before it drops to 0.5%, it says that there is a maximum of £100 that I can earn. Is that per month or per year? It isn’t clear on the website. 

Comments

• WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,481 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    5% cashback on the first £2000 of spend in Y1 only (=£100)
    0.5% cashback on £2000-10000 of spend in Y1 only
    1%  on £10k+

In future years
    0.5% up to £10k
    1% above £10k

No overall cashback limit. You must spend £3k pa to receive any cashback.
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The £100 limit is only applicable to the introductory 5% rate. After that, there is no limit to how much cashback you can earn.
  • steven141
    First Post
    Options
    So it seems like I’ve used up my 5% cashback limit and am now on the standard cashback rate. Thanks for your help!
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    if it's the platinum cash back credit card ie th one where you pay 25 pounds a year then it is 5% cashback up to a maximum of £125  not 100

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-gb/credit-cards/platinum-cashback-credit-card/
  • WillPS
    Options
    Olinda99 said:
    if it's the platinum cash back credit card ie th one where you pay 25 pounds a year then it is 5% cashback up to a maximum of £125  not 100

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-gb/credit-cards/platinum-cashback-credit-card/
    It isn't, because that one would have a 0.75% ongoing rate, not 0.5%.

Incidentally - they've been rebranded to just 'Cashback' (fee and 0.75%/1.25%) and 'Cashback Everyday' (no fee and 0.5%/1%). Presumably to avoid comparison to the (very different!) Platinum Card.
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    yes the platinum one has 0.75

if the op has a platinum card then they get 0.75 and 5% to £125

if they are not getting that then it's not the platinum.onr
  • WillPS
    Options
    Olinda99 said:
    yes the platinum one has 0.75

if the op has a platinum card then they get 0.75 and 5% to £125

if they are not getting that then it's not the platinum.onr
    ... they were both Platinum cards. The previous brands were 'Platinum Cashback Everyday' and 'Platinum Cashback'. The new brands are 'Cashback Everyday' and 'Cashback'.
  • artyboy
    artyboy Posts: 892 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well given the original Platinum charge card is now a credit card, the rebrand is hardly surprising. Wonder if they'll change the colour at some point...
  • WillPS
    Options
    artyboy said:
    Well given the original Platinum charge card is now a credit card, the rebrand is hardly surprising. Wonder if they'll change the colour at some point...
    They've just in the last few months changed the design (and the other mass-market basic card they offer, the Rewards CC) to a flat design.

That said the Rewards CC briefly existed with a design similar to the old Platinum Cashback one (and the Costco green one, RIP old friend!) in a gold colour.
  • steven141
    First Post
    Options
    WillPS said:
    Olinda99 said:

It isn't, because that one would have a 0.75% ongoing rate, not 0.5%.

Incidentally - they've been rebranded to just 'Cashback' (fee and 0.75%/1.25%) and 'Cashback Everyday' (no fee and 0.5%/1%). Presumably to avoid comparison to the (very different!) Platinum Card.
    The one I have is probably the one that is now called Cashback Everyday. I didn’t realise that they changed it. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback