Is 45-75mins a normal commute these days?

Options
Trying to weigh a role up. 

Now I didn’t put miles as many of us have jobs less miles, more time due to location and traffic issues. 

Would you commute up to an hour for a job? Thanks 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to commute about an hour to get to a job I wanted.  Place was about 30 miles away with a decent direct route with speed limits between 30 and 60 but by the time I got to where I could park and then a bit of a walk it was impossible to do in less than an hour.  

After that I got a job that was 7 miles away but because of volume of traffic 45 minutes was normal and could exceed an hour on bad days.  The alternative was a 5 minute ride to the train station, 15 minutes on the train and a 5 minute walk to the office.  Much nicer.  A move to a different part of town still 7 miles but different busy traffic so still 45 minutes.  Or 3 hours by bus which I am still staggered by and so never used.  It was lovely during covid and I had to go to the office as it could take me 15 minutes. 

I've a close friend who can't find the level of job she wants in our area so has spent the last 15 years doing a 2 hour train journey each way with a 30 minute walk to the office from Waterloo.  That's 5 hours a day.  Life is too short for that much job commitment.    
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • prettyandfluffy
    prettyandfluffy Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I used to travel 90 minutes each way to work in London, more if the trains or underground went wrong.  It was worth it to me to live in a nice place and do a job I enjoyed that was well paid, not to mention the cost.  Only you can decide if it's worth it to you but be warned - it is tiring.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 4 March at 5:52PM
    Options
     Hubby has a 90 min journey each way. Walk train and a bus. He copes ok but is tired a lot. 

I would travel an hour max 
  • Jaybee_16
    Jaybee_16 Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 March at 5:57PM
    Options
    When I lived in London the commute used to be an hour or so door to door each way by underground. Used to get through a book each week.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,102 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Depends on the journey itself.  How stressfull it could be. 
  • zedonk
    zedonk Posts: 65 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I live in a city and have always had a commute of around 45-60 mins, but this is by public transport, so I get a bit of a walk and can read my book on the metro etc. It never used to bother me, until I went freelance and started working from home, so my commute consisted of going downstairs. Now that I'm employed again and hybrid working, I do struggle to fit in the extra transport time on my days in the office! 
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I've known many people for whom that would be a normal commute.  It certainly wouldn't suit me.  The longest I had was just over 30 minutes drive and that quickly became wearing.  Location of the job would be more important to me than the salary.  I was once headhunted for a job and turned it down immediately when told it was in London.  I didn't know the company, salary or anything else but no money would have got me travelling to London every day.  The person trying to recruit me was shocked that I wouldn't even consider it.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,469 Forumite
    Options
    What's the distance?
    What sort of trip? Car, bus, train or combined trip?

15 miles here & it can be anything from 30 mins to over 2 depending on traffic via car. Buses a easy 2 hours, when running. Train would require bus>Train>bus (or parked car) at least 2 hours subject to bus/train running on time or turning up.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Ksw3
    Ksw3 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    I commute about that, but I'm the only one of my team. Everyone else seems to have commutes around 30 mins. 
  • gm0
    gm0 Posts: 864 Forumite
    Options
    Not all commutes are created equal.  Trains you can work, study or play to some degree. Albeit some trains are so hellish this is not entirely practical.  Friday out of Euston case in point.  Stood in someone's arm pit headphones in I suppose.  Car time can be entertaining or educational but is "dead time" by comparison

You have to do you.

If there is work for your skills - that satisfies your need for resources and recognition local to where you live.
    Great news. 
    If there isn't.  Commute.  Move.  Or settle for less so it is local.  
    Tick 1

It is that simple

What we do or did - however mad. Is not a benchmark you need to live up/down to.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback