Diabetes

Options
Can anyone tell me the cheapest monitors for my dogs suger level as we have  just been told she as diabetes 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't help with a monitor as we were never told to have one for our 2 different cats with diabetes.  Told to test their urine with one of the little paper strips and never did figure out how to do that as one was always outside to do it's business (unless he decided to use the shower and that he always managed directly down the plughole....) and the other would stop anything if approached at such a moment.  

Assuming it's the same with dogs I did find it relatively easy to manage our cats even with insulin injections twice a day.  Biggest problem is being cats, they roam and the neighbours didn't realise they should feed them on demand which messed up trying to keep them on a special diet.  Unlikely you'll have any issues like that.

Best of luck with it - proper maintenance gave both cats years more life than they would have had otherwise.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My cat, when he had diabetes (now in remission) had a Libre fitted to him, which I could then monitor from my phone via an app. It was brilliant. 

However, as a backup we used this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082MP5XN5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a human glucometer, but recommended in many feline diabetes groups as a cheaper alternative to the AlphaTrak pet-specific meter. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback