New house - Damaged Fridge/Freezer

Hi, would appreciate the advice.

I moved into my new home Dec 2019 and had an external inspector look at the house. They found 440+ issues and these were reported to Taylor Wimpey.

One of the issues was a crack in the fridge compartment of my fridge/freezer.

we reported it to taylor wimpey and were told they would look into it and have been since chasing up. They are terribly slow at actioning items but today got told it was a no. Where do I stand to with my consumer rights on this ? They are white goods supplied by TW but were damaged when we moved in. Surely they are liable for correcting this ? 

FYI they have fixed many things in our home, costing over £20,000 so far. The biggest job that was completed Sept 2023 were two Bi-fold doors, so they have been accepting liability for some items.

Appreciate the help. 

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    RajSingh1 said:
    Hi, would appreciate the advice.

I moved into my new home Dec 2019 and had an external inspector look at the house. They found 440+ issues and these were reported to Taylor Wimpey.

One of the issues was a crack in the fridge compartment of my fridge/freezer.

we reported it to taylor wimpey and were told they would look into it and have been since chasing up. They are terribly slow at actioning items but today got told it was a no. Where do I stand to with my consumer rights on this ? They are white goods supplied by TW but were damaged when we moved in. Surely they are liable for correcting this ? 

FYI they have fixed many things in our home, costing over £20,000 so far. The biggest job that was completed Sept 2023 were two Bi-fold doors, so they have been accepting liability for some items.

Appreciate the help. 
    I may be wrong, but I don't think you have consumer rights in the normal sense, here.  If the appliance was part of the house then I think it falls under a code of conduct rather than consumer law.

After four years, I suspect you've reached a dead end.  They're clearly not averse to putting problems right, and have spent £20,000 so far, so I can't see why they'd unreasonably reject a claim for what would probably cost them a few hundred quid to replace the whole appliance.

Has this crack actually caused any problems, or is it just cosmetic?  I'm assuming it's cosmetic only, given you've lived with it for four years.  What reasons have they given for the refusal?
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 4 March at 5:25PM
    As above, no "normal" consumer rights here. Your rights are those under the contract for the purchase of the house, so look at that.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    So is this a crack in one of the internal parts of the fridge/freezer? & it has been working fine for the 4+ years you have used it?
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure