Trying to clear PayPal credit

Options
I’ve had my PayPal credit for a few years and the interest is far too high and I want to clear my remaining balance. I received a Halifax balance transfer credit card at 0% however because PayPal is not a traditional credit card with no card number or sort code, I’ve been unable to use the Halifax credit card to clear my PayPal credit balance. PayPal do not allow you to use credit cards to clear the balance. Instead they use a service called third-party consolidation cheques. Halifax do not offer this service and it’s very difficult to see what credit cards will allow me to send PayPal a consolidation cheque to clear my account. The only other option I have seen online is someone saying that I should apply for a money transfer card which I am not eligible for so I feel very stuck. Does anyone have any advice on how I can clear this PayPal credit balance?

Comments

• FredTrump
    FredTrump Posts: 383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You'd need a money transfer facility as you either send them funds, pay them by debit card by phone or instruct them to debit your account for the amount you wish to pay

How do I make payments on my PayPal Credit account? | PayPal GB
  • Shakaila
    Shakaila Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FredTrump said:
    You'd need a money transfer facility as you either send them funds, pay them by debit card by phone or instruct them to debit your account for the amount you wish to pay

The point is I don’t want to use my savings or my income from my debit card to pay off the balance I want to use credit. 
  • MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Shakaila said:
    FredTrump said:

The point is I don’t want to use my savings or my income from my debit card to pay off the balance I want to use credit. 
    That's why a money transfer was suggested.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Shakaila said:
    FredTrump said:

You have savings that would cover it? Earning a few percent APR - compared to your Paypal debt at something more extreme in terms of interest? Wouldn't it be a no brainer to kill the one with the other?

Alternatively if you don't qualify for a money transfer card - then use a credit card for everyday spend - putting the money you'd usually spend on your debit card to paypal.

Another option is that you have an 'Ebay (or similar)' clear out - raise some funds from a 'fire sale' of old tech - stuff in the cupboard - old clothes that you don't wear that are decent brands - you get the idea - and throw that money at the Paypal debt. You don't mention the level of Paypal debt - but it's likely if you had a rummage around you'd probably sell off a load of stuff that you haven't used for months on end that would help clear the balance.

As you say, Paypal credit isn't a credit card so the payment options are more limited.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • inthezeroroom
    inthezeroroom Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If your savings will cover it then why not just pay it off and get it out of your life? As above, it makes sense mathematically too.
  • Rajix
    Rajix Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Money transfer offer will be the best option
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business