IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC Ltd Claim

Options
Hi,

I have a claim against me from UKPC Ltd. I followed the guidance and submitted my defence as per the template. I have received a Reply to Defence which I have included a redacted version of linked below.

I did not put this on the Defence, however believe the reason for the alleged breach of T&C was that my vehicle was outside of the lines of the space. My van is longer than the spaces. In this space, I had positioned the overhang of the van over the verge, but the front of the van and wheels were just over the front line of the space. I have noticed plenty of vans like mine use the car park nor are they specifically forbidden, so I asked a UKPC parking attendant how I should park my van, and he confirmed that it is fine to park lengthways across two spaces which I am happy to do, and would have done if I had known this was allowed. I also recorded this conversation. I have read the terms and nowhere does it say this. I would personally think parking 50% across two spaces is more in breach of the terms than parking 10% out of the end of 1 space.

Also, the reply to defence states I appealed to POPLA and was unsuccessful. Not sure if it has any relevance but this is not true, I didn't appeal to POPLA.

I would appreciate if anyone has any guidance on the next steps taking into account the Claimant's response.

Thanks

Comments

• KristianFulco
    Options
    Reply to defence: mega.nz/file/qsJQBIiZ#cSiYE-LVAGIwCEcEA292vMlI-C5HAce1ME4aM52_DWs

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't see that link.  Can you copy & paste it or take screenshots/photos.

You can insert images into a reply.

I asked a UKPC parking attendant how I should park my van, and he confirmed that it is fine to park lengthways across two spaces which I am happy to do, and would have done if I had known this was allowed. I also recorded this conversation. I have read the terms and nowhere does it say this. I would personally think parking 50% across two spaces is more in breach of the terms than parking 10% out of the end of 1 space.
    Wow he is lying to you and you'd definitely be ticketed for that!  By him.  Love the fact you recorded the conversation!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,504 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If this went to court they would be, IMO, very likely to lose, read this

Parking Eye Signs, Oxford Road, Reading — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • patient_dream
    patient_dream Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    D_P_Dance said:
    If this went to court they would be, IMO, very likely to lose, read this

Parking Eye Signs, Oxford Road, Reading — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Sir Dance, nice to see you back
    This one is about UKPC who of course have the same rubbish signs as PE
  • KristianFulco
    Options
    Thanks for responses. The reason the link wasn't linked is due to the forum software not allowing links for new members.

I will look into the signage issue. I have taken some photographs of the signage when driving into the site and near the parking space and it seems to be too small to be easily readable.

Does the recording subsequent comments by the parking attendant have any relevance to the case (unfortunately you cannot see the uniform in the recording but I have date/time/description)?

Several parking attendants have told me to park length-ways across two spaces in this car park. It seems that despite it still being in breach of their terms, they have unofficially decided not to issue PCNs to vehicles parked like this. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing this though.

Should I just be putting all this in the witness statement?

I am hoping this time will be different. Last year, I went to court for a PCN from a different company and lost (although did pay a lower charge with less interest). On this occasion I was sick on the day of the hearing but dragged myself in with a mask and painkillers. I had read a lot about how the process was user-friendly to litigants in person and I would be guided through it. However, I forgot to mention a few points of my defense. I hoped the Judge would have read the defense and would refer to it in their closing remarks, however they only referred to the points I had made verbally and ignored some of the written defence.

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 4 March at 1:34PM
    Options
    Yes: in many cases, the law (and defence argument) is what you say on the day.  Often the Judge has had little or no time to read all submissions.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback