We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Derivatives and other complexities in Man Dynamic Income

124»

Comments

  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 4,169
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Many thanks. I hold Class IH and planned, next month, to sell my Accumulation units and buy Income units. It looks like I will not be able to do that without buying into a more expensive class. The fund trades daily at 2100 and, from memory, if I sell tomorrow I would not have the funds in my account until either Thursday (which would be OK) or Friday (which would not) afternoon. I guess I could sell something which clears more quickly and buy on Wednesday. Is that correct?
    Also, what does this mean please  "... a 10% genuine rebalancing allowance on their current holdings in the Existing Share Classes."
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,812
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 27 October 2025 at 8:37PM
    Many thanks. I hold Class IH and planned, next month, to sell my Accumulation units and buy Income units. It looks like I will not be able to do that without buying into a more expensive class. The fund trades daily at 2100 and, from memory, if I sell tomorrow I would not have the funds in my account until either Thursday (which would be OK) or Friday (which would not) afternoon. I guess I could sell something which clears more quickly and buy on Wednesday. Is that correct?
    Also, what does this mean please  "... a 10% genuine rebalancing allowance on their current holdings in the Existing Share Classes."
    You could try purchasing first. If you can bear to double up for a day or two. I guess you might wish to wait for settlement to be sure.
    Presumably there will be some mechanism for an ad-hoc purchase of up to 10% of your existing holding if you assert it is necessary because your other holdings have all performed better. I have no idea how that would work in practice or whether any DIY platforms would cooperate.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 4,169
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    masonic said:
    Many thanks. I hold Class IH and planned, next month, to sell my Accumulation units and buy Income units. It looks like I will not be able to do that without buying into a more expensive class. The fund trades daily at 2100 and, from memory, if I sell tomorrow I would not have the funds in my account until either Thursday (which would be OK) or Friday (which would not) afternoon. I guess I could sell something which clears more quickly and buy on Wednesday. Is that correct?
    Also, what does this mean please  "... a 10% genuine rebalancing allowance on their current holdings in the Existing Share Classes."
    You could try purchasing first. If you can bear to double up for a day or two. I guess you might wish to wait for settlement to be sure.
    Yup, that's what I figured. Alternately, given how smoothly the fund's price has performed, if it carried on in that way I could hold and sell Acc units to generate my income. If there is a downturn I could sit it out until recovery. 
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,812
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    masonic said:
    Many thanks. I hold Class IH and planned, next month, to sell my Accumulation units and buy Income units. It looks like I will not be able to do that without buying into a more expensive class. The fund trades daily at 2100 and, from memory, if I sell tomorrow I would not have the funds in my account until either Thursday (which would be OK) or Friday (which would not) afternoon. I guess I could sell something which clears more quickly and buy on Wednesday. Is that correct?
    Also, what does this mean please  "... a 10% genuine rebalancing allowance on their current holdings in the Existing Share Classes."
    You could try purchasing first. If you can bear to double up for a day or two. I guess you might wish to wait for settlement to be sure.
    Yup, that's what I figured. Alternately, given how smoothly the fund's price has performed, if it carried on in that way I could hold and sell Acc units to generate my income. If there is a downturn I could sit it out until recovery. 
    Also, the Acc units give you a way to increase your investment, whereas you'd struggle to reinvest distributed income if you wanted to do so. I'd say hanging onto Acc is better in this situation as you can still choose to withdraw.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 4,169
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I just re-opened the page to say just that. With fixed interest you have to plan for no capital gain, so I intended to top up the fund periodically. As you say, doing nothing seems the best option. Thanks again for posting about this.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 4,169
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Are you tempted to get in on the ground floor, masonic?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,812
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 October 2025 at 7:21PM
    Are you tempted to get in on the ground floor, masonic?
    I already have some tucked away in my workplace pension, bought around the time I decided to rotate out of my US bond exposure. I didn't want to reinvest everything in IL gilts. It happened to be there, and I had researched it following previous discussions about it...
    My junk bond fund of choice is the investment trust NCYF, as it tends to get beaten down to an attractive discount during the bad times, so I will probably revert to form if another opportunity presents itself. I wouldn't dream of buying in while it's trading at a premium as it is now.
    It was an email from my pension provider that put me onto the closure. It seems other providers have not been so communicative.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 4,169
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It’s not been a good six months for bonds. A global aggregate index fund has fallen 2%, a gilt index fund has fallen 4%, a Sterling corporate bond index fund has fallen 2%. But bucking the trend again is Man Dynamic Income, up 4.5%. I was going to sell a bit to contribute to some upcoming expenses, but it keeps looking like a fund for many conditions so I’m tempted to buy a bit more with some gilt coupons due next week. It looks like ii will let me place an order (small rebalancing purchases are theoretically allowed) although that’s no guarantee it will go through.

  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 4,169
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Report back... ii is not allowing any new contributions into Dynamic Income. But since it soft closed just before I was going to move from Acc. to Inc. and so I didn't make that switch, I'm benefiting from the generated coupons staying invested in the fund.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.