We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What is used for rootstock for greengage?

twopenny
twopenny Posts: 5,486 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
My deceased greengage threw up a sucker from its roots begore its demise.

I left it in after removing the tree and it's a pretty looking thing, shot out little leaves earlier than anything else.
Trying to find out what it might be I just get adverts for trees and size types.

Does anyone know what plant this might be?

I need a tree or two and wondered if I could move it, pot it, let it grow on somewhere.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,810 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    A quick google shows references to "Pixy" as a rootstock and this website lists a number of others.  There seems to be a relationship with how big your tree was and the rootstock used so that might limit what you need to look at.

Old Greengage | Frank P Matthews
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • twopenny
    Good thinking Brie  :)

It was a dwarfing one from my favourite nursery which has now closed down.

Problem is what plant or shrub was used.
    I was trying to find out what the shoot is likely to turn into.
    I guess tonight I'll see if I get any success with digging deeper by naming rootstocks.
    Pun intended  :D   

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,176 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    twopenny said:
    Good thinking Brie  :)

It was a dwarfing one from my favourite nursery which has now closed down.

Problem is what plant or shrub was used.
    I was trying to find out what the shoot is likely to turn into.
    I guess tonight I'll see if I get any success with digging deeper by naming rootstocks.
    Pun intended  :D   

I've just had a search, gage & plum rootstocks

Seems it is a developed from plum tree roots, will fruit as plums, but probably the wild, small, sour ones.
    If left, you are looking at a ten to twelve foot tree

Now, are the Angels smiling at you, or is it the devil whispering?  >:)
    Offer valid until midnight, but often extends another 24 hours
    These are only small trees in 9cm pots so it'll be a year or more to fruit
    will incur a delivery charge of £6.99.
    https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/fruit-tree-collection-mini-fruit-tree/T56849TM?source=newsletter-fruit-030324&acq_source=

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • twopenny
    Get behind me Farway!  >:)
    Just looked up wild plum and looks potential. In the badger run, 7ft fence that would aid privacy poking over the top and give fruit!!
    https://www.bushgear.co.uk/blogs/bush-telegraph-2017/wild-edible-of-the-week-week-39-wild-plum

But thanks for solving the puzzle.
    May start it off in the pot. See what it's like while preparing the area.

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,810 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Just as an add on (with no devilish temptation) I would have thought that any rootstock had to be the same "animal" (so to speak) or at least a closely related one.  So plum but maybe a wild one that is hardier or something in the other stone fruit trees (peach unlikely as they always seem much more fragile) and maybe not nectarine as I thought that was a crossbreed.  Would almond work??  I don't know how close they are.....  Same as apple rootstock might be something apple or might be crabapple etc.

Granted I'm basing a lot of this on my limited knowledge of grapes where the Canadian vinifera vinifera became the basis of many vineyards around the world.  Too much of the grapes grown in Canada until the 1960s were concord and good for juice or jam but nasty when one might try to make wine.  Jordan Vineyards started mid 19th century as I recall and made palatable wine using the vinifera vinifera or concord rootstock but it wasn't until a century later when there was the more prevalent import of decent wine grape stock that the Niagara region were able to produce really good wines.  The level of really excellent German style wines there is phenomenal.  Trying to make reds as they did originally was, in my opinion, a big mistake as the climate doesn't suit them as well.

(don't ask me where I'm from....)
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • twopenny
    That's really interesting Brie.
    It's all something that you could really get interested in.

Having been out there at last and clearing I have a suspicion it may be another plant altogether by a weird twist........but I could be wrong. I need to get into the badger run to check but it's hissing down tomorrow apparently.
    Curiouser and curiouser.

So did you come here for the weather  :D

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills