Year sim only deal but no sim… can i leave?

Options
sophlouwhit
sophlouwhit Posts: 44 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
I have been with a new mobile company for a few months and my sim broke. I requested a new sim about a week ago one was sent and it didnt have phone number etc on it, ive had nothing but hassle trying to sort this - i cant request a new sim myself as it says it already exists, tell this to these people and they dont listen . Its now a week i basically am paying for a service they are not providing as no Sim card, my question is tho i have a year contract with them as a sim only deal - is there a way i can legally exit on basis not willing to provide a Sim card / Service? Please advise as i just want out with 0 charges,

Comments

• Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Who are "these people"? It would help if we knew which company you are talking about. 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No, you can't just leave without their agreement unless you pay exit fees.

As above, who is it you are with?

Have you raised it as a fault with the sim, or are you just requesting they send a replacement?
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,082 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 3 March at 2:46PM
    Options
    Quite a lot of unknowns. How did the sim break? It is a pretty unusual thing to happen. What is wrong with it?  Is the new sim active? Does it have its own phone number and can you make and receive calls using it? Do you have an online account which shows your allowance?
    Did any instructions come with the replacement sim? Tbh if it was me I would want some security that my replacement sim couldn't be used by someone else if it got misdelivered. So I would want to have to confirm it had arrived and then transfer the number and plan from the old sim.
    Then again if it is a new mobile company they may not have ironed out all the technical issues, including making sims which don't break after a few months. Maybe stick with established companies which have good user experience?
    If they are at fault and not providing you with the equipment (sim and reasonable coverage) to use the service they have agreed to supply you might be able to threaten them by saying you will make a complaint to the regulator unless they cancel your contract, but they might deny liability.
    Perhaps if you name them someone might have heard of them?
  • sophlouwhit
    Options
    Lyca mobile, i have a sim only 12mth deal im not getting thru to them at all - they say same thing - ask for a replacement sim, when i go to it shows a error saying already done basically but that sim come without my current number etc and they wont help. Its been on going for a week now, i wanted to know where to take a case for not paying anymore because they are not providing a service - my phone only does stuff when connected to wifi -
    My old sim i woke up and it wasnt reading the sim, tried several phones same i then got new sim instantly binned other one so now have a sim in but no “credit” as it isnt preloaded with a plan etc. its been a nightmare i try talking to them live chat they move me around for an hr with no movement i tried again and they said would send higher up and reply, they havent. I just want to leave now and looking for a way out where i can say no service being provided, ie paying for nothing.
  • savergrant
    edited 3 March at 5:01PM
    Options
    Have you followed the instructions on their webpage?
    "Once you received your replacement sim card, you’ll need to put it in your device and then activate it on our website or at your nearest Lycamobile retailer and then the SIM Swap request can be placed through Lycamobile My accounts or Contact Customer service.

Should your device fail to connect to Lycamobile network, contact our customer service team via land line or alternative number who be able to assist you further. You’ll need to confirm your identity, so we can protect against fraud.

Sim swaps can take up to 24 hours to complete. Once you lose signal with your original sim, turn your device off. Turn it back on and, if you’re using a plastic sim, pop it in your device. Wait till you see our network appearing on your device."

However it is a bit concerning that your sim broke, have you received any suspicious communications?

Here are three other signals you may be a victim of SIM swapping.

1. You’re unable to place calls or texts. The first big sign that you could be a victim of SIM swapping is when your phone calls and text messages aren’t going through. This likely means fraudsters have deactivated your SIM and are using your phone number.

• savergrant
    Options
    Also wondering at what point they told you to put your old sim in the bin? You might need the sim number (on the opposite side to the chip) to perform the sim swap. Otherwise you could try going down the lost sim route but then you would need to prove to their satisfaction that it is a genuine request.
    What exactly have you done since receiving the replacement sim?
  • savergrant
    Options
    This info specifically deals with swapping to an esim but I would guess there will be an option to swap physical sim to a new physical sim;

Log in to Your Lyca Mobile Account: Start by logging in to your Lyca Mobile account on their website.

Access SIM Management: Click on the "SIM Management" tab within your account.

Select SIM Swap: In the SIM Management section, look for the "SIM Swap" tab and select the option for "Swap Physical SIM to eSIM".

Have you already done this? If not you will need the number of your old sim.

• sophlouwhit
    Options
    Theyve told me i cant have a esim
    i binned it without looking as they said it would be a sim just put it and boom works? In my communication theyve said its unknown why new sim didnt have old number on and tel me to reorder which i cant as says sim Request exists they since havent bothered to reply since i reconfirmed this
  • sophlouwhit
    Options
    I can use the app but i cant log into account website as it asks for phone number and says failed as result when i use my number, its all a mess.

i wos looking for a way i can argue not providing a service so contract is cancelled ideally? Who to take it to asap - i need a phone that works 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback