Nothing but a scam!

Options
exalco?
exalco? Posts: 8 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Hi all, this situation is ongoing so I may yet be sorted out but for now, I am fuming. We recently cancelled a holiday and the money was paid back into my Lloyds Credit card account from whence it came. I then attempted to transfer the money to the current account but there was no direct option to do so. However the site specifically stated that if there was a money transfer option eg if you wanted to move the balance to a % card account, I could use that way and if a fee was generated, it would be refunded. As I say, this could still happen but, when I checked the current account later, there was still no sign of the money which had now gone from the Credit card to some mysterious named receiver, and it had been rounded off to a cool £6000! Thinking I'd been scammed, i called the "help" line but by the end of that call, (which was cut off by the staff member!) she had more or less said I shouldn't have done that and the fee would not be refunded ; the reason I believe was  that rounding off the amount put the credit card account a colossal 27p. If I am not refunded, that will be the end of Lloyds for me full stop.

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 March at 4:34PM
    Options
    exalco? said:
    However the site specifically stated that if there was a money transfer option eg if you wanted to move the balance to a % card account, I could use that way 

What is a % card account?  And what or who is this 'mysterious named receiver'?

And why did you not simply phone and ask them to send you the credit?

It all sounds very over-engineered, although lacking in actual scam-ness.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,239 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    exalco? said:
    Hi all, this situation is ongoing so I may yet be sorted out but for now, I am fuming. We recently cancelled a holiday and the money was paid back into my Lloyds Credit card account from whence it came. I then attempted to transfer the money to the current account but there was no direct option to do so. However the site specifically stated that if there was a money transfer option eg if you wanted to move the balance to a % card account, I could use that way and if a fee was generated, it would be refunded. As I say, this could still happen but, when I checked the current account later, there was still no sign of the money which had now gone from the Credit card to some mysterious named receiver, and it had been rounded off to a cool £6000! Thinking I'd been scammed, i called the "help" line but by the end of that call, (which was cut off by the staff member!) she had more or less said I shouldn't have done that and the fee would not be refunded ; the reason I believe was  that rounding off the amount put the credit card account a colossal 27p. If I am not refunded, that will be the end of Lloyds for me full stop.

When you've had a refund that takes you into a positive balance - you either spend it as you normally would by using the card if it's a small amount - or if, as in your case is a larger value, you give them a call to arrange to move the positive balance back to  your current account. A 'money transfer' isn't for getting your refund back into your account - it's a way of borrowing money on your credit card. As it is in effect a loan that you've requested (even though you're in a positive balance) it's likely gone off for some kind of approval. 

Sadly you've gone about things **** backwards - and are now in a position that you've been charged a fee. Rather than calling with all guns blazing - a little bit of 'I'm sorry I didn't understand how I was supposed to do it, and thought I was doing the right thing'' might help in trying to get the fee refunded - but there's no guarantee on that.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,239 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    And it's not a scam....
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,478 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Scam = User error. in this case.

MSE really need to have a filter in place that stops "Scam" in thread title.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    who did you send it to ie what card or bank details did you put in
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts